Author Topic: Huggers  (Read 1437 times)

Offline zphenyl

• Crosstourer Member
Re: Huggers
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 02:40:40 AM
*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]

Interesting.  Sorry for this spoonfeeding-ish question, but do you have the part number?  Only if it is no trouble.

Sorry for the delay part number is 08F63-MGE-101

Offline 4walls

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XA
  • City / Town: LowerMainland BC
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:43 PM
That looks like a simple solution.  I was thinking of trying something like that as well.

Did you have to put in longer bolts to account for the extra material?

*Originally Posted by Murphy [+]
So I read about the issues with huggers on here and decided on a different approach. I have an old 2000 BMW R1100 RS where there is a factory fit flap between the wheel and the suspension. I used an A4 sheet of nitrile rubber, 2mm if my recall is correct, made a cardboard pattern and stiffened it with plastic cut from a small plastic chemical barrel. I used the two existing bolt holes through from under the seat, stainless bolts and washers and I have to say it works like a dream. You really don’t notice it in normal use.

Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:01:38 PM by 4walls

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:41 PM
Yes, I had a couple of ss 60mm m6 bolts left over from  a Job on the boat. Put them in long to pull everything together then shortened them with an angle grinder. VERY CAREFULLY!

Offline 4walls

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XA
  • City / Town: LowerMainland BC
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 07:40:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Murphy [+]
Yes, I had a couple of ss 60mm m6 bolts left over from  a Job on the boat. Put them in long to pull everything together then shortened them with an angle grinder. VERY CAREFULLY!
Thanks.

Offline robinreliant

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: vfr1200 X DCT
  • City / Town: Bruton
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 09:49:28 AM
I have tried the Pyramid plastics version...that is now on the shelf! Poor fittings and much too small to do the job. Hopeless! But their fender-extender is fine.
So I bought the Powerbronze alternative. It is wider, taller and better made with proper brackets not just holes drilled through fibreglass. And you can fit it without removing rear wheel and the exhaust! I dont know if they do matt black...mine is black gloss to match the front mudguard.
I hope this helps!
Robinreliant
robin

Offline Younger06

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 06:25:15 PM
*Originally Posted by robinreliant [+]
I have tried the Pyramid plastics version...that is now on the shelf! Poor fittings and much too small to do the job. Hopeless! But their fender-extender is fine.
So I bought the Powerbronze alternative. It is wider, taller and better made with proper brackets not just holes drilled through fibreglass. And you can fit it without removing rear wheel and the exhaust! I dont know if they do matt black...mine is black gloss to match the front mudguard.
I hope this helps!
Robinreliant

Would you have a good clear photo of the gloss black one fitted ??
"Howya horsebox"

Offline Younger06

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 06:43:00 PM
*Originally Posted by robinreliant [+]
I hope this helps!
Robinreliant

How much would you need to take the Pyramid Plastics hugger down off the shelf and post it to Ireland ???

(what colour is it?)
"Howya horsebox"

Offline matt28

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 10:00:47 AM
Installed Powerbronze hugger.
Quite impressed, as I think it's the only one hugger on the market with metal frame.
Very solid and slightly wider than counterparts.

arab-exile