Author Unbolting front engine retainers  (Read 4705 times)

• Offline Mav   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    69

Offline Mav

• Crosstourer Member
    Re: Unbolting front engine retainers
    Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2024, 10.31 am
    Feb 07, 2024, 10.31 am
    Did you use an impact gun or just socket set?

• Offline C_D   pl

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    15

Offline C_D

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2024, 11.19 am
    Feb 07, 2024, 11.19 am
    Just socket on 50 cm handle. Those bolts are weaker due to hole all the way through.
    Last 10 mm of bolt left in engine, original thread  damaged by sharp end of broken bolt. Will start with drilling out remaining piece (hope it will go easily because of hole in centre ;-) )
    Then installing helicoil or bolt and nut.

• Offline Roymac   ie

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    56

Offline Roymac

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer 2012
    • City / Town: Dublin
    Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2024, 09.20 pm
    Feb 07, 2024, 09.20 pm
    *Originally Posted by C_D [+]
    Just socket on 50 cm handle. Those bolts are weaker due to hole all the way through.
    Last 10 mm of bolt left in engine, original thread  damaged by sharp end of broken bolt. Will start with drilling out remaining piece (hope it will go easily because of hole in centre ;-) )
    Then installing helicoil or bolt and nut.
    That's the 1 good thing about them bolts, it's started to look like a lot of these bikes have had the bolts over tightened when assembled. What year is your bike. Mine is a 2017

• Offline C_D   pl

Offline C_D

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08.32 am
    Feb 08, 2024, 08.32 am
    Mine is 2012, almost 68kkm. I made some pics:
    - bolt - looks a bit bent

- remaining piece of bolt - seems that at the beginning it went out properly and then, after 10 mm just snapped off

For comparison, here is the end of second bolt:

I hope that with helicoil and stainless steel bolts this problem is gone forever.

• Offline Roymac   ie

Offline Roymac

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05.38 pm
    Feb 08, 2024, 05.38 pm
    From seeing your pics got me thinking would an easy out be any help getting that last piece of bolt out

• Offline C_D   pl

Offline C_D

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08.25 pm
    Feb 08, 2024, 08.25 pm
    Work finished on both sides. Some pics for those who want / need to execute the procedure.
    First of all a little surprise - left side bolt is longer than right side:

I was lucky to order stainless steel bolts in three sizes (option of bolt and nut) so fortunately I had already one which fits.
    Also noticed that thread of original left side bolt is damaged at the end so when screwing out, the thread in engine block becomes damaged!

Now about steps... Drilling the rest of bolt was easy - hole in original bolt drives drilling bit right in the centre. I started with 10mm drilling bit, then 12mm (bolt went out completely) and a the end dedicated drilling bit for helicoil (12,3mm).

Remark - on right side there is limited access due to clutch valves - longer drilling bits required.

Then making new thread - in aluminium it goes quite easy but again - due to limited access and deep hole, tap extender is a must. Some pics of this step:

Unfortunately, to access engine block, we have to go through frame opening so we make thread also there:

It can't stay like that because bolt will be too lose in frame opening. I drilled out thread in frame opening with drilling bit 14mm and made brass bushing (14/12 mm) which perfectly fixes bolt in frame:

Finally fixed new bolt with inox washer using medium loctite and 54Nm as described in manual. And I'm sure that now I can disconnect it any time I need. New bolt is 19mm socket (original 17mm) but fits very well:

• Offline Roymac   ie

Offline Roymac

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2024, 12.08 am
    Feb 09, 2024, 12.08 am
    That is a very helpful guide you've done.
    l now know what good drill bits sizes I need to buy. Just to wait until payday to get all the bits I need just incase mine snap so ill have them at hand. And I'll finally get my sump guard on. Taking up space just sitting there😁