Author Honda heated grips kaputt!  (Read 1305 times)

• Online BeToney   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    155

Online BeToney

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200XDCT
    • City / Town: Olympia, Wa
    Re: Honda heated grips kaputt!
    Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2023, 06.28 pm
    Dec 02, 2023, 06.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Dabbers [+]
    Followed the loom to the heater control box and that was full of water.
    Glad to hear that you found the problem but having water ingress is never a good thing, if the bike is stored outside do you have any sort of waterproof cover?. 

Do you have a photo of the heater control box location or is it pretty obvious what to look for if following the wires?

• Offline Dabbers

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    88
    • Topic Author

Offline Dabbers

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2023, 08.18 pm
    Dec 02, 2023, 08.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by BeToney [+]
    Glad to hear that you found the problem but having water ingress is never a good thing, if the bike is stored outside do you have any sort of waterproof cover?. 

Do you have a photo of the heater control box location or is it pretty obvious what to look for if following the wires?

I ride the bike in all weathers, I have a cover but don't bother unless bike is going to be stood up for a while. The control box was mounted inside the left hand cowling, sort of lodged in place against the frame and wrapped with tape, the wrong way up and hard to spot without following the harness...had I of known I would of re-positioned it but too late for that. It's a small black box approx 3" square, just follow the wires to locate where yours is, it could be anywhere! I can remember seeing an invoice the for heated grips to be fitted for the previous owner by a Honda dealer, the positioning of the box and the way some of the loom was positioned/amount of tape used does make you wonder.

• Online BeToney   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    155

Online BeToney

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200XDCT
    • City / Town: Olympia, Wa
    Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2023, 08.24 pm
    Dec 02, 2023, 08.24 pm
    *Originally Posted by Dabbers [+]
    The control box was mounted inside the left hand cowling, sort of lodged in place against the frame and wrapped with tape, the wrong way up and hard to spot without following the harness...had I of known I would of re-positioned it but too late for that. It's a small black box approx 3" square, just follow the wires to locate where yours is, it could be anywhere!

Thanks for the information.  :031:  I will look for it the next time I have the panels off for maintenance.

• Offline Dabbers

• Topic Author

Offline Dabbers

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2023, 01.29 pm
    Dec 03, 2023, 01.29 pm
    Grips arrived, bike still dismantled and ready for a fitting of new grips and they don't fit. The throttle tube measures 1.5mm thicker than the inner diameter of the Oxford grip. It appears the throttle tube in situ, (now I've had a good look and compared to what should be on there), is not a standard item so I'm not too chuffed. My only option is to try and sand it down or order a new tube  :827:...and I thought it was going to be a simple 20 minute job.

• Offline Dabbers

• Topic Author

Offline Dabbers

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2023, 07.22 pm
    Dec 04, 2023, 07.22 pm
    Just a note to anybody getting heated grips for the CT...ensure you order not just the correct length grips but check the internal diameter of the heated grips against both your bars and the throttle tube. I had a PITA job of sanding down the tube on mine. Took a fair bit of work to get the right diameter. Oxford jobbies now fitted and working well, hands very warm on ride home tonight in cold heavy rain.

arab-exile