IMG 1009 1 EICMA2011

Views: 251
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino
CT by the water

Views: 294
Posted by: isaac
in: Isaac

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternator output?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline V4roar

• Crosstourer Member
Alternator output?
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
I've been unable to find the Crosstourer's alternator output listed on any of Honda's websites or in reviews. Bit odd since the ability to power auxiliary lights and heated gear is a big selling point for this class, aka 950w for the Tiger Explorer and 700w for the 1200GS.

Anyone here have this info?

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Alternator output?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
The alternator power output in the Crosstourer is the same as the one in the VFR1200F - 570W - a little on the small side, but big enough for all the required accessories  :261: :261: :261:

Offline V4roar

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:38:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, did you ever come across a more inclusive list of specifications than what Honda gives on its websites?

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by V4roar [+]
Thanks for the info, did you ever come across a more inclusive list of specifications than what Honda gives on its websites?

Not really. I've searched the Internet for information from the offical press releases. Not even the Crosstourer Handbook that comes with the bike tells you the size of the alternator. I got the information from a German test report.

I think, compared to the Explorer, the Crosstourer's alternator is a bit small, but it's big enough - unless someone wants heated seats, stereo CD, CB radio, electric centre stand, cigar lighter, etc, etc. They could always buy a Goldwing if they're the accessories they really need.

For GPS, heated grips, extra lights and a 12V adapter (charging point), the 570W should suffice.

Offline V4roar

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »
Agree, 570w is plenty for solo riding but more would be nice for two-up touring in colder weather. Power usage can add up pretty fast when you're running two sets of heated jackets and gloves, heated grips and auxiliary lights. And a heated seat...  :018:   

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
Agree, 570w is plenty for solo riding but more would be nice for two-up touring in colder weather. Power usage can add up pretty fast when you're running two sets of heated jackets and gloves, heated grips and auxiliary lights. And a heated seat...  :018:   

Hi V4roar,
Have you ever thought about wearing some more clothes?  :745:

I agree, in the case of heated this, and heated that, 570W will soon run out!

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]

Hi V4roar,
Have you ever thought about wearing some more clothes?  :745:

I agree, in the case of heated this, and heated that, 570W will soon run out!
lol  :745: - in his defence sometimes you just can not add enough layers - I must say I have ordered the heated grips as I have never had them and my mate has them on his Multi and last winter we got caught in a cold spot -5 C standing still not sure what the wind chill was but after 1 hour riding my hands no longer worked - Jacob
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/