in: RoadRash
Col de Puymorens, Pyrenees

Views: 195
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Views: 284
Posted by: PaulB
in: PaulB

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adventure Bike shootout  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
Adventure Bike shootout
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
In today’s Motor cycle news there’s an 11 page article on all the big adventure bikes, the bikes were ridden for 1000miles to Scotland. The article wasn’t written that well in my opinion and the inevitable winner, the Triumph Explorer is no surprise.

1st place Triumph Explorer
2nd place Honda Crosstourer
3rd place Ducati Multistrada
4th place BMW R1200GS
5th place Yamaha Super Tenere
6th place KTM 990 Adventure
7th place Kawasaki  Versys
8th place Moto Guzzi Stelvio

The Crosstourer got a good report. I said in an earlier post somewhere on this forum back in November of last year that the journalists were positioning themselves for the Explorer to win. It was as secret as an elephants fart that the Explorer was going to win in the Adventure bike market, even before anyone had sat on one (I must be psychic).
 Having said all that I don’t have a problem with the Triumph coming first because I don’t really care. First place, last place, what does it matter. If you buy any bike on the word of a bike journalist than you must be crazy. – Do your own research and form your own opinion.
 What does annoy me though is the Crosstourer was ridden with the front wheel out of balance and comments were made about this. Why they couldn’t have sorted this problem out at the many Bike shops they must off been near on their 1000mile trip is beyond me. Surely, if this was an unbiased article then why wasn’t this problem with the front wheel sorted out. ( Sounds like sabotage to me ).

Sorry I cant send you the link to the article as you have to buy the MCN. If you live in the UK then have a read and let us know your thoughts.   

Offline MrT

• Crosstourer Junior
Re: Adventure Bike shootout
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
I just read same review and was surprised when mentioned  about the triumph"after 45minutes my right wrist aches and my coccyx is painfully numb.but we all agreed its ergonomics are not quite right-certainly not as good as the bmw or honda"

I thought comfort wass a big selling point of these bikes

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »
 :0461: , nothing was going to beat the Explorer - although painful wrists is not good.  :110:

I didn't get the impression that the bike would be uncomfortable when I test-rode it. The Crosstourer is much more comfortable to ride - the riding position and seat are first class.  :169:

It was good to see that the Crosstourer - even with a wheel problem - came out second best. (why didn't they get it fixed???)  :112: 

I think when you've ridden the Crosstourer and Explorer back-to-back you will always go for the Crosstourer, manual or DCT.

But don't believe me - find out for yourselves!  :305:

Offline Strider

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Bedford
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by MrT [+]
I just read same review and was surprised when mentioned  about the triumph"after 45minutes my right wrist aches and my coccyx is painfully numb.but we all agreed its ergonomics are not quite right-certainly not as good as the bmw or honda"

I thought comfort wass a big selling point of these bikes

Your right MrT, comfort is a big selling point of these bikes. Just adds more weight to my argument. How did the Explorer recover from such a scathing report about its comfort. I quote : "we all agreed its ergonomics are not quite right-certainly not as good as the bmw or honda".  He also mentioned that his coccyx were numb and he was glad to get off the bike.
Lets face it, the Explorer was going to win know matter what.  :084:

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »
What a pity ...
It should be very interesting to read this article ... but in Catalonia we don't have the MCN magazine.
 :232:
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
MCN is a weekly newspaper type of mag . Whist widely read and very active in motor cycle sport is considered by some to be somewhat short on substance and over the years to have had a somwhat anti Honda bias .. and an appreciation of  the triumph range.  Having said that  this particular article has  more merit than usual in that upto 10 riders were used of all ages and experiance ( tho all journ's/photographers and a  couple of long distance travellers..) on the 8 bikes over 1000miles  /3days at least 2/3 rds of which were on some excellent touring /challenging roads in  N england and Scotland', a ++ for choice , also a short offroad /Track was included for a thrash by a  expert off roader , For those who cant get the mag I will give a few quotes.,though i think you may be able to read it on line... Everyone scored   10  qualities for each bike ,scores totalled and positions given on scores out of100   ....triumph81.1....honda 78.4 ...  ducati 76.3... bmw 76...   yam 73.4... ktm70.4... kawa 70.3... moto  63.1..   Of note ,consdering the worries,  MPG s were 45.3    ...43.5.....41.1........47.5   46.7 44.3 ...45.....40....order as before ...The triumph had  ONE best score, the honda had 2  as did bmw ( including best build quality!!!!!!!)   Summary .....The Honda is a dark horse,meaty slick V4,fabulous finish , refined ,comfortablle and the best ride...... Despite being good value it was th'e easiest to forget'....!!!!!!!!Well if it stops people stealing them thats a +++++for me...THe triumph is.... hugely impressive, but not the best at anything,,i.e a great allrounder with only OK levals of comfort !!!!!..........
Make what you will of this  and try and see the full report ..Anyway amazing that the CT came second  in this environment but having seen both I'M even more sure i made the right choice...white DCT.............. :046: :046: :046: :046: :047: :047: :047: :047: :047: :152: :152: :152: :152:

apolagies for thecrap one finger typing........... :173: :173: :173:

Offline AIR4CE1

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
The question is why Honda supplied a test bike with an off-balance front wheel, or was the better bike sabotaged by patriotic UK testers ?  :039:

The Triumph Explorer has alloy wheels. While spoked wheels are claimed to have more flex and able to absorb impact better than alloy wheels, in the application that most of us will use the CT, should spoked wheels be a concern ?

I wonder how the CT test bike's wheel was damaged, or was this a manufacture error prior to test delivery. If the damage was caused by a pothole or pavement curb during the early stages of the test, did the MCN testers declare this ?

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Only mentioned once (I Think)... I suspct some one lost a Lead balance weight whilst playing with it... Your other views are relavent ,but spokes look better than Alloys (Don't they) and arn't a lot more difficult to look after.. Look how many BMW owners pay a fortune to 'upgrade to spokes,  The alloys on my GS  picked up a nasty ding without much effort ,and it is cetainly much easier and cheaper to re-fettle a spoked wheel ... My previous KTM990 never suffered a problem with its spokes in 6 years of use ,there are some fairly soft alloys out there,hence the number of repair  shops advertising  !!!!!