Author What to do with my stock seat  (Read 1355 times)

• Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    29
    • Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Grapevine
    What to do with my stock seat
    on: Dec 02, 2022, 05.31 pm
    Dec 02, 2022, 05.31 pm
    I replaced my stock seat with a Corbin. And my bum has been thankful ever since. But the stock seat has been sitting on a shelf for a year. Is there a market for stock CT seats? What do you fine folks do with your stock seats after replacing them? Should I keep it in case I ever sell the CT, put the stock seat back on, and sell the Corbin? I seek wisdom from the CT sages here.
    Last Edit: Dec 02, 2022, 05.32 pm by Big Tex

• Online BeToney   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    53

Online BeToney

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200XDCT
    • City / Town: Olympia, Wa
    Re: What to do with my stock seat
    Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2022, 09.34 pm
    Dec 02, 2022, 09.34 pm
    How do you like the Corbin?  I bought one for mine and don't like it at all.  I have put several thousand miles on the seat to break it in and it is still hard as a rock.  I much prefer the stock seat with a $20 foam pad.

I have tried contacting Corbin's customer support to see if there is an option to fit normal foam so that it is usable and have never gotten a response.

• Offline Big Tex

• Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2022, 09.51 pm
    Dec 02, 2022, 09.51 pm
    I like mine. Maybe I just have an iron butt. But the only thing I don't like is it tends to push me forward. I thought it would form a pocket for me to sit in. I continually have to scoot back in the seat.

• Offline Ernest_T_Bass   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    68

Offline Ernest_T_Bass

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200x
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05.36 pm
    Dec 06, 2022, 05.36 pm
    My stock seat is in the attic above the garage, along with the stock windscreen, footpegs, and maybe a couple other items that I've forgotten about. Probably no point in keeping it, but it's not bothering anyone up there.

I replaced with a Corbin about mid-2021, have put around 7k miles on since then.  It was a significant improvement for me immediately and has gotten better over time.  I did a 400 mile coast-to-coast-and-back ride (Florida style: Atlantic to Gulf) last weekend and never once thought about my butt or the seat.  Half that distance used to be very painful on the stock seat.

• Offline Big Tex

• Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05.41 pm
    Dec 06, 2022, 05.41 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ernest_T_Bass [+]
    My stock seat is in the attic above the garage, along with the stock windscreen, footpegs, and maybe a couple other items that I've forgotten about. Probably no point in keeping it, but it's not bothering anyone up there.

I replaced with a Corbin about mid-2021, have put around 7k miles on since then.  It was a significant improvement for me immediately and has gotten better over time.  I did a 400 mile coast-to-coast-and-back ride (Florida style: Atlantic to Gulf) last weekend and never once thought about my butt or the seat.  Half that distance used to be very painful on the stock seat.

Maybe years from now the new home owners will come across the parts, and be motivated to run out and get a motorcycle. Who knows?

• Offline Cajunhog   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    25

Offline Cajunhog

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Cajun Heartland
    Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2022, 03.13 am
    Dec 26, 2022, 03.13 am
    I put my OEM seat back on the bike when washing, or a dealership trip. Like you I went Corbin. Mostly I keep the seat in case I trade or sell the bike one day (no current plans ) I can put the OEM seat on the bike and sell the Corbin separate. Other than getting the seat redone which would be overkill IMO, owning the Corbin.

• Offline Big_John   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    144

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '16 Black Manual
    • City / Town: Colorado
    Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2023, 11.45 pm
    Jan 17, 2023, 11.45 pm
    The last item on my VFRX that I absolutely abhor is the stock saddle.  It is so bad for me, I have nearly sold the bike, twice, because of it.  The rest of the bike is SPECTACULAR!  Last year I nearly dropped $1,300 on a Russell, but they said it would be 3-4 months and I backed out.

I also own a Victory Vegas and I purchased a Corbin for it and LOVE the saddle, so I am very tempted to buy one for the VFRX.

Someone above complained that it was too hard... and that is music to my ears.  I weigh about 250lbs and the problem with the stock seat, is that my ass bones sink down into the soft foam, which creates hot spots after about 200 miles.  If the Corbin is hard, then I will be happy and it will allow me to ride so much longer.

Any other comments about the Corbin?

As for the stock saddle....  Sell it for $50.... It isn't worth that price.

• Offline Big Tex

• Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02.26 pm
    Jan 18, 2023, 02.26 pm
    *Originally Posted by Big_John [+]
    I weigh about 250lbs and the problem with the stock seat, is that my ass bones sink down into the soft foam, which creates hot spots after about 200 miles.  If the Corbin is hard, then I will be happy and it will allow me to ride so much longer.

Here's to the fellowship of the 250-pounders. I'm with you. Corbin is my hero.