CT4

Views: 330
Posted by: Vrom
in: Vrom
1 Binies Castillo de Binies

Views: 185
Posted by: SPW999
in: SPW999

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do it yourself - or Honda workshop  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT Red
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Do it yourself - or Honda workshop
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Reading Captain Scarlet's comment about how long he kept his BMW's leads me to these two questions:

1. How long do you keep your bike?
2. Do you do your own servicing? (After warranty period is over)

I always keep my Hondas until the warranty expires. With the ST's this was 24 months, about 20K; with the new Crosstourer it will be 36 months, so it might see 30-40K. When the warranty expires, the bike is changed.

I do not have the time to tinker with the bike, and I have also never paid for anything except servicing and tyres. Am I amongst the few, or is this a common practice amongst us?

With today's ever-more advancing electronics, how much longer will we be able to 'do it ourselves'?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:40:19 PM by Doc »

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Re: Do it yourself - or Honda workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »
... so that depending. With my Africa Twin i did all the services over the years by myself. Didn't do many kilometers though for many a year as family things and other means of travel (mobile home) was on.

How many years i keep my bikes .. ? back 30 years ago Honda XL125 = 2 years, 500XL 3 years, couple of years for 600 and then AT first one 100k when it was stolen, another AT for 4 years but much less km's then .... i actually just bought that bike back some 15 years later, off my brother ;-) ... she is almost a vintage bike now and brought me "across and around" Australia in 2011 ;-)

For Crosstourer i reckon at least .... 5 years or something... who knows ... maybe 10 yeras or even more  :305: I wouldn't change a bike just because there is a new model out as long as i'm satisfied with what i have  :018:
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
I think as long as there are no 'electronics' issues - which can be pretty expensive, just ask BMW owners - then keeping a bike, like the Crosstourer, for a long time should be OK.

I just change my bikes regularly for piece of mind -and no large unexpected repair bills. :002:

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Can you lucky Continentals confirm that Honda are giving a 3 year warranty with the Crosstourer. I was under the impression that we heavy handed Brits were only getting 2 years with an option to purchase a third which must be taken up within 30 days of purchase and1000miles of use!!!! :151: Hope someone can tell me I'm wrong..

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
Yep, 3 years as standard in Germany!  :047:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:55:12 AM by Doc »

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
The VFR has a 3 year warranty but all other motorcycles have a 2 year warranty, so says the honda uk website, whether this will change when the crosstourer actually arrives here is another thing !!!!

Offline jacob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Yep, 3 years as standard in Germany!  :047:
Only 2 years in Australia
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

Offline Mister B

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: white 1200XT.DCT
  • City / Town: Morecambe Bay
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
Hi Steve ..Have just had another look at Hondas web site,and yes it does mention the warranty on the VFR ,but  it looks like it relates  only to the  1200F and FD models .. I believe the crosstourer is officially known as  VFR 1200 X and XD .... So it looks like we loose out  :232: :232: :232: :232:    This is a particularly bad effort & mealy mouthed show by Honda UK ,Its difficult to know if they are really interested in the great product that Honda have given them... After their marketing dedacle with the VFR1200F  it looks like theyare intent on following  the same path......... :157: :157:   It would be nice if someone from Honda Uk would come on here and tell me that I''ve goit all wrong.

Rant now over , Its still the best adventure bike out there and one will soon be mine.......

Recent Topics