Author I hate to say this, but....  (Read 1132 times)

• Offline hairymonster   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    49
    • Topic Author

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • What is and what should never be
    • Bike: VFR1200X CT
    • City / Town: Swindon
    Re: I hate to say this, but....
    Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02.10 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 02.10 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hound [+]
    Its previous owner did the lowering bit, but there's nothing especially difficult involved.

At the rear, the plates at the rear suspension are exchanged for ones that lower the bike.

At the front it's simply a case of loosening the bolts on the fork yokes and raising the forks so they project 20mm (or your chosen height) above the top yoke.
    Some say to maintain the bike's geometry you should lower the front the same amount as the rear. Mine seems to steer quite quickly considering its large front wheel.
    The risers go between the handlebar and the OEM risers. Here you can see the forks sticking up from the yoke and the risers (silver, unfortunately) under the handlebars.

I found that lowering my footpegs and bringing them slightly rearwards also helped with the ergonomics.
    Thanks for that Hound. Do you know if the relationship 'twixt seat and footpegs remains the same, or are your legs a bit more cramped with this arrangement?

• Offline Hound   wales

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    254

Offline Hound

• Crosstourer Pro
    • 2013 Crosstourer DCT Special Edition
    • Bike: '13 CT DCT SE
    • City / Town: Connah's Quay
    Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02.44 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 02.44 pm
    I felt that my legs were a bit cramped with the original seat and pegs and wanted my feet to sit closer to the ground (I don't anticipate much if any off-roading requiring extra clearance). So I fitted adjustable footpegs which allow my legs to stretch a little, and also make the leg/foot positioning more natural when stopping - the pegs needed to come back a little.

Sorry to hear about your rear shock! There was an OEM one for sale here recently - removed after only 1500miles from a 70 plate Crosstourer - for £225. Might be worth asking the seller (haggetty) if it's still available, if you'd rather have an original part than a pattern.

• Topic Author

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2022, 03.45 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 03.45 pm
    My local motorcycle repair shop very kindly fitted me in with very little notice for an MOT, service and investigate the handling, so I have let them go ahead and sort the pattern shock out. As I've been running about for 2,000 miles with no shock absorption at the back of the bike, I think whatever I fit will be a revalation!

I also need the bike for this weekend for a reunion with lots of bikers that all used to ride, or still do, something from the BMW GS range. This will involve leading a rideout to Aberystwyth which would have been deeply unpleasant with the broken shock.

• Topic Author

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2022, 02.33 pm
    Sep 22, 2022, 02.33 pm
    The Lord be praised!

New YSS shock fitted and MOT passed. It's like a new flippin' bike and I love it!

Rode the A44 coming back from Aberystwyth to Kington - about 60 miles of fast A road with some fairly tight bends coming through the hills - 'making progress' was fantastic - makes you glad to be a biker.

• Offline Hound   wales

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    254

Offline Hound

• Crosstourer Pro
    • 2013 Crosstourer DCT Special Edition
    • Bike: '13 CT DCT SE
    • City / Town: Connah's Quay
    Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2022, 03.03 pm
    Sep 22, 2022, 03.03 pm
    Congratulations your hairiness. :046: I must look into my harsh suspension too. At less than 10k miles it seems unlikely that my rear shock is toast, but the suspension is jarring on rough roads. I am using the "Veejay" specs.

• Offline ArthurY   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67

Offline ArthurY

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200XD 2017
    • City / Town: Seattle, WA
    Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2022, 03.09 pm
    Sep 22, 2022, 03.09 pm
    Actually, in the event of a replacement, are there any recommendations for 3rd-party shocks which are better than the OEM?

• Topic Author

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2022, 03.47 pm
    Sep 22, 2022, 03.47 pm
    I don't know if YSS is better than original, but it was a third of the price. 325 vs 1050! I was offered Hagon at about 500 but opted for YSS as I know I wouldn't notice the difference.

arab-exile