Author DCT "S" mode doesnt work well in the mountains  (Read 2633 times)

• Offline Plane Dr   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    234

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
    • City / Town: DFW Metromess
    Re: DCT "S" mode doesnt work well in the mountains
    Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2022, 05.37 pm
    Jul 14, 2022, 05.37 pm
    I run in S2 pretty much always.  I haven't noticed the shifting being as far off as some suggest.  That said I also don't hesitate to "override" the computer if I don't feel it's doing what I want/expect.  I really treat it as a quick shifter for "interesting" riding rather than an automatic.

• Offline Pickaxe   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    107

Offline Pickaxe

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Honda CT DCT
    Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2022, 12.06 pm
    Jul 15, 2022, 12.06 pm
    I don't think you'll ever please all of the people, all of the time with the DCT transmission. It's very much down to experience and application and because the gearchanges are largely out of the riders hands, another thing to blame.
    Having spent a large part of my working life riding motorcycles, personally, I find the system as near to excellent as you could expect. D mode does change up quickly, but with the huge amount of torque in the engine, as well as the 'kick down' change if you open the throttle quickly, the bike still performs well. The S modes, especially 3 actually hold onto lower gears for too long in my opinion. If after everything you still aren't happy with full automation, you have the ability to override it or go fully manual.

• Online BeToney   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    38
    • Topic Author

Online BeToney

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200XDCT
    • City / Town: Olympia, Wa
    Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2022, 09.57 pm
    Aug 06, 2022, 09.57 pm
    Well I discovered something new today...

I took the advise given here and did a DCT reset and went out for a test ride this morning.  I usually like a more sporty ride so I set it to S3 mode and was off to burn through a tank of fuel on some nice country back roads.

Before the reset it would upshift to 6th way too soon, even in S2 mode, and stay there until I slowed down to almost 30mph and I was CONSTANTLY overriding the gear selection and manually down shifting.  In the mountain twisties, I just normally rode with my thumb on the downshift button and was constantly correcting the gear choice, downshifting several times every minute as it was always wanting to upshift to 6th even going up steep inclines.  Eventually I just gave up on auto modes and just manually shifted myself, I was so frustrated that I was almost ready to sell the POS as the only time it was automatically ever in the correct gear was starting out in 1st or cruising on the interstate in 6th.

Today I tried feathering or lightly dragging the brake as I rolled off the throttle entering a corner (as if I was trail braking), sure enough every time I touched the brake it would kick down a gear and give me a usable "corner rpm".  Now, under moderate acceleration it doesn't shift into 6th until I get to around 70mph (YAY!!!) and if I'm riding more aggressively it doesn't shift into 6th at all, -period. (HOORAY!!!) though I only tested it up to 80mph in the fun corners, it still might eventually click into 6th at higher speeds.

This was such a revelation and actually made the bike enjoyable to ride aggressively without having to constantly correct it, I used a whole tank of fuel riding some fun hooligan-type roads and only needed to manually over ride the gear selection 3 times, 1 upshift and 2 downshifts.  For mountain roads, it still cant predict an upcoming uphill switchback, so for extreme situations I'll continue to switch to manual mode.

This might be common knowledge to other DCT owners but I just discovered the brake input for dropping a gear today and couldn't be happier with the way it shifts now, I'll be leaving it in S3 now.

• Offline Pickaxe   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    107

Offline Pickaxe

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Honda CT DCT
    Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2022, 07.43 am
    Aug 15, 2022, 07.43 am
    The DCT reset is purely to adjust the clutch, primarily after service work. It doesn't alter shift points and the system doesn't learn rider habits. It may make shifts smoother.

• Offline Klj   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    48

Offline Klj

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2022, 04.13 pm
    Sep 08, 2022, 04.13 pm
    On those sort of runs ( just back from a four country tour northern europe) I'm always ready to switch to manual ( cheking I'm inn right ger for the corner etc) then back to auto / or select up down with the paddles. This is especially helpful on long steep twisty climbs. Just an idea ..........

• Online BeToney   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    38
    • Topic Author

Online BeToney

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200XDCT
    • City / Town: Olympia, Wa
    Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2022, 04.59 pm
    Sep 08, 2022, 04.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Klj [+]
    On those sort of runs ( just back from a four country tour northern europe) I'm always ready to switch to manual ( cheking I'm inn right ger for the corner etc) then back to auto / or select up down with the paddles. This is especially helpful on long steep twisty climbs. Just an idea ..........

Thanks for the input, I do exactly as you mentioned.  I recently did the DCT reset and find that S3 mode performs very well for my particular riding style in most scenarios.  When I add in elevation changes, steep switchbacks and mountain highways etc I still switch over to manual mode.