Author Cycle denim jeans or reinforced riding pants  (Read 487 times)

• Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Grapevine
    Cycle denim jeans or reinforced riding pants
    on: Apr 08, 2022, 10.53 pm
    Apr 08, 2022, 10.53 pm
    I have been shopping for riding jeans with kevlar and/or CE reinforced hips and knees. The last time went down on the street wearing regular denim jeans, they did absolutely nothing to prevent road rash. I see lots of options online. But I am a big guy: 6'5" and about 260 pounds. I usually wear a 40 waist and have a 34-inch inseam. I lift, so my thighs are larger than normal. I don't want an over pants. Just me and my boxers underneath. What are you fine gentlemen wearing these days? Any feedback and counsel are greatly appreciated.

• Offline Red Boll   nl

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    176

Offline Red Boll

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2014 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: (near) Rotterdam
    Re: Cycle denim jeans or reinforced riding pants
    Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2022, 08.55 am
    Apr 09, 2022, 08.55 am
    I am riding with a John Doe Defender Mono Olive (https://www.ridejohndoe.com/en/mjdc5003-defender-mono-olive.html).
    Feels comfortable/relaxed to ride in when I compare it to my Rev'it Dominator 2 GTX.

What I do not like about them is the very flimsy protectors so I planned replacing the knee pads with (Klim) D30 LP1 (vented) pads with some velcro. They seem to fit but I still need go on a ride with the new pads.

Also they are pretty warm, these are not summer pants/jeans in my opinion and of they course are not waterresistant.
    (The non mono layer version was even warmer than the mono version and was rated AA, the mono is rated AAA for what's that worth)

• Offline Pickaxe   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    84

Offline Pickaxe

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda CT DCT
    Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05.57 pm
    Apr 09, 2022, 05.57 pm
    I'm happy to wear a synthetic jacket but have always felt more protected by reasonably priced leather trousers with knee and thigh protection. In a slide your legs are more likely to suffer from the additional weight of the bike. I suppose it may be just a psychological thing.

• Offline Ernest_T_Bass

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    59

Offline Ernest_T_Bass

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200x
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2022, 03.18 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 03.18 pm
    I'm wearing Bull-it riding jeans made with Covec material and have upgraded to CE-2 rated hip and knee pads. They can be hot here in FL, but I'm willing to trade some comfort for a bit of protection.  Not likely as protective as leather, but definitely a step or two above denim.

I'm guessing that your sizing requirements will narrow down the options, but something with the "relaxed fit" would likely accomodate a lifter's thighs.  My skinny chicken-legs require that I avoid "relaxed fit" as it would allow the knee pads to roam around too much.       
    Last Edit: Apr 11, 2022, 03.19 pm by Ernest_T_Bass

• Offline Big Tex

• Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Grapevine
    Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2022, 05.44 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 05.44 pm
    Gents, thanks so much for the replies. You guys rock! One more detail I am wondering about. Why did you choose the type of pants you did. I mean leather vs reinforced denim vs textile.

• Offline Pickaxe   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    84

Offline Pickaxe

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda CT DCT
    Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2022, 05.48 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 05.48 pm
    Broke my femur in a bike accident. Despite pointing in totally the wrong direction, the leather trousers kept the bone in my leg.

• Offline Red Boll   nl

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    176

Offline Red Boll

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2014 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: (near) Rotterdam
    Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2022, 08.01 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 08.01 pm
    This is my second season riding with "jeans". Till now only on single day trips.

I like the amount of comfort it gives while riding. According to the rating they should be "as safe" as textile/leather.
    In reality I think those safety ratings are not 100% "practical", just hoping never to find that out myself.

• Offline crisort   gb

Offline crisort

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2018 DCT
    Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2022, 09.02 am
    Apr 12, 2022, 09.02 am
    That's the problem. In winter I tend to wear either good quality textiles (with 3DO armour etc) because they are warm with their liner, or some fantastic BMW (sorry!) waterproof goretex leather trousers, over my armoured kevlar/denim jeans. The jeans are really worn then just to keep the armour in place as the BMW trousers don't have any - but they do keep me 100% dry.
    In summer I'll drop to wearing just the jeans - but always very good long boots with them (alt-berg).

The problem is, I can say that I stay comfortable in what I wear, but as I've not slid down the road in all of them I can't honestly say they are any good in an off, or give a comparison between them.

arab-exile