Author CalSci windshield: why did I wait so long?  (Read 2630 times)

• Offline hairymonster   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    49

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • What is and what should never be
    • Bike: VFR1200X CT
    • City / Town: Swindon
    Re: CalSci windshield: why did I wait so long?
    Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2022, 10.34 pm
    Aug 10, 2022, 10.34 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hound [+]
    That does look like a bit of a bodge. I'm sure you can get hold of some nylon washers, rubber grommets and wellnuts, and rebuild the mounting points.
    I have new wellnuts and have bolted the Puig screen securely on. Problem is, above 80mph (on closed roads obvs) the screen bends towards me worryingly. All 4 bolts are tight, but the screen bending is rather unnerving. 

This Sunday, 14th, I'm embarking on a 1500 mile road trip up to N Scotland and doing part of the NC500. Wonder what my options might be to swap the screen for something that should be on the bike before then.
    Last Edit: Aug 10, 2022, 11.10 pm by hairymonster

• Offline DE65Y   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    250

Offline DE65Y

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Widnes
    Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2022, 07.16 am
    Aug 11, 2022, 07.16 am
    *Originally Posted by hairymonster [+]
    I have new wellnuts and have bolted the Puig screen securely on. Problem is, above 80mph (on closed roads obvs) the screen bends towards me worryingly. All 4 bolts are tight, but the screen bending is rather unnerving. 

This Sunday, 14th, I'm embarking on a 1500 mile road trip up to N Scotland and doing part of the NC500. Wonder what my options might be to swap the screen for something that should be on the bike before then.

I have the MRA  Vario screen, it moves in the wind but that has not been an issue for me.
    My problem has been when pushing the bike around, on full lock the bars hit the screen with enough pressure
    that it has popped the well nut through the slot.
    My answer will be, and it will be a struggle, I'm going to put snug fitting washers on the back.
    that way, the well nut should tighten on the washer, which shouldn't go through the slot.

• Offline hairymonster   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    49

Offline hairymonster

• Crosstourer Member
    • What is and what should never be
    • Bike: VFR1200X CT
    • City / Town: Swindon
    Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2022, 09.36 am
    Sep 02, 2022, 09.36 am
    *Originally Posted by DE65Y [+]
    I have the MRA  Vario screen, it moves in the wind but that has not been an issue for me.
    My problem has been when pushing the bike around, on full lock the bars hit the screen with enough pressure
    that it has popped the well nut through the slot.
    My answer will be, and it will be a struggle, I'm going to put snug fitting washers on the back.
    that way, the well nut should tighten on the washer, which shouldn't go through the slot.
    I think that's exactly what happened to my PUIG screen. So, before setting out on my jaunt, I ordered a used standard (Honda) screen and bolted this on with new wellnuts. Things are a bit breezy but the screen doesn't bend alarmingly towards me when 'pressing on'.

1,800 miles later, no problems.

I would still like a higher screen, but I just found the PUIG screen bending towards me rather unnerving, like it's about to snap off and hit me in the chops.

arab-exile