Author CalSci windshield: why did I wait so long?  (Read 385 times)

• Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Big Tex

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Grapevine
    CalSci windshield: why did I wait so long?
    on: Apr 07, 2022, 03.56 pm
    Apr 07, 2022, 03.56 pm
    I ordered and installed an XL CalSci windshield this week on my 2016 CT. And the improvement is astonishing. I am a big guy: 6'5" and 260 pounds. The airflow no longer hits me in the face. I rode on the highway with the face shield of my modular helmet in the up position. Installation was a snap. The only downside is that when I tried to raise the screen in the up position it wouldn't go all the way up. The vent at the bottom catches on the crossbar above the instrument gauge. I have to pull it out a little when I raise or lower the screen. Other than that, it is well made and well worth the price.

• Offline Ernest_T_Bass

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    59

Offline Ernest_T_Bass

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200x
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Re: CalSci windshield: why did I wait so long?
    Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2022, 05.40 pm
    Apr 08, 2022, 05.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by Big Tex [+]
    The only downside is that when I tried to raise the screen in the up position it wouldn't go all the way up. The vent at the bottom catches on the crossbar above the instrument gauge. I have to pull it out a little when I raise or lower the screen.

Mine doesn't have that issue; seems to be plenty of clearance between the crossbar and shield. Looks like the rubber grommets at the mounting holes are providing that clearance.  It's certainly harder to raise while underway, as the increased area puts more pressure against the lever.

Regardless, I'm liking mine as well.  Not quite as pretty as the stock screen, but that's OK.
    Last Edit: Apr 08, 2022, 05.43 pm by Ernest_T_Bass