Author Looking for a Crosstourer  (Read 521 times)

• Offline crisort   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline crisort

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2018 DCT
    Looking for a Crosstourer
    on: Feb 23, 2022, 12.45 am
    Feb 23, 2022, 12.45 am
    Hi all, been lurking for a short while and may start to ask some questions so thought I'd say hello.

My current big bike is a Pan ST1300 (plus some other smaller ones, fun toys not long distance mile munchers). I've put 80,000 miles on her in the last few years, she's now well over 100,000. Still running strong, but starting to show her age by needing more regular tinkering and fixing. Therefore I'm looking to get a stable mate as at times I have commitments that need a working big bike and I can't afford to be waiting for a part to arrive as that'll let people down.

Crosstourer is on the short list as the closest Honda successor with shaft drive. DCT is quite appealing, current thinking is 2017 onwards sub 20k miles and DCT. The new NT1100 is kind of interesting, but it is chain drive and not a V4! I'm looking for the right bike (and still considering FJR, Explorer, GTR1400), but CT is most likely - partly because of the good experience with the Pan, and reading through here there don't seem to be many big problems.

So, hello everyone!

• Offline richo59   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    50

Offline richo59

• Crosstourer Member
    • Leicestershire
    • Bike: highlander 2016
    • City / Town: Castle Donington
    Re: Looking for a Crosstourer
    Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08.15 am
    Feb 23, 2022, 08.15 am
    Hi
    I had a BLACKBIRD  for 17 years,before buying FJR,hated it.
    Then bought CT,love it.
    Great engine,comfy,handles well,and good 2 up.
    Im 6 foot 3,no issues.
    You will need aftermarket screen,see threads on here.Thats the only issue.
    Cheers
    Richo

• Offline crisort   gb

• Topic Author

Offline crisort

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 06.01 pm
    Feb 23, 2022, 06.01 pm
    Thanks. Yes, I expect to replace the screen on most bikes, and generally spend a bit of money on farkles to fine tune for me. I don't change my main bikes very often if they are basically right for me, so it's worth investing to take from being generically OK to being spot on.

• Offline crisort   gb

• Topic Author

Offline crisort

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10.59 am
    Mar 06, 2022, 10.59 am
    And I'm now properly in the fold. I went over to see Bazza950 (thoroughly nice bloke!) and gave him back some space in his garage where his 2018 DCT used to sit. It's nice buying a bike off a forum rather than a dealer; I could see exactly what he'd done to it over the time he's owned it, where he'd had issues and how he'd resolved them, rather than getting something that's truly unknown. It's also got some of the things done to it that I'd be doing immediately anyway (e.g. upgrading the crash bars, radiator guard).

Not having done many miles on it yet, my initial thoughts are that it is a bit faster and a bit more stable at low speeds than my Pan 1300 (which wasn't bad at either). Even with the low seat it's a bit higher, though I can pretty much flat foot it. There is something unusual in the position of the pegs, I find my leg knocking into the right peg when I'm putting a foot down. I'll get used to that. Walking it around it's a bit more top heavy, but still lighter overall.

The DCT box is what I'd hoped it would be, though it does like chugging at low revs in D, the S modes feel more like I'd manually use the box. The wind protection is nowhere near the Pan levels (though the previous owner of my Pan had fitted a wider, taller screen) - it's almost like riding a naked. I'm OK with that, especially in Summer I like a bit of air. A wider screen would be useful as I sometimes have a warning sign mounted up front, but that might foul the handguards unless it has a cut out. It's good enough, and again what I expected. With limited mileage I have no opinion on the seat yet. I upgraded my Pan to a heated Corbin, so I've been a bit spoilt there, and 500+ mile days aren't that unusual for me so I'll soon find out if it's OK or needs swapping. Next Sunday is likely to be a 300 mile day if I can get it ready for then.

Given the brakes a clean up, and I'm working on the electrics now; I need to add some bits, so putting in another fusebox and relays as I do on all my bikes to make it easy to do so neatly and effect repairs if necessary down the line. In addition to a basic accessory power relay, I also add a "hold-up" relay that allows me to turn on power to some things only whilst the ignition is turned on, but they'll stay powered up even when the key is removed until I turn them off when the relay will open. Then they'll be impossible to turn back on without the key in. It means I can leave some kit running even when I'm off the bike for a few minutes, but a passerby can't fiddle with switches and drain my battery when it's left unattended for hours. I think I know where to grab a switched feed from (either left hand front panel or tail light wiring), but I could do with tracking down a wiring schematic for general use.

So, all positive so far and looking forward to getting some serious miles in on it.

• Offline Hound   wales

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    254

Offline Hound

• Crosstourer Pro
    • 2013 Crosstourer DCT Special Edition
    • Bike: '13 CT DCT SE
    • City / Town: Connah's Quay
    Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2022, 12.00 pm
    Mar 06, 2022, 12.00 pm
    Congrats on your purchase of Bazza's "Hippo". I drooled over it for a good few weeks but price-wise it was just out of my reach.

He has put a lot of thought and money into its upgrades and I'm sure you will appreciate the full Maxton suspension set-up.

i know what you mean about the contrast with the Pan - I expected the engine to be much like that of my ST1300 but it's a very different beast. As for the DCT, I the CT to its MoT test and then 8 miles home in "D" and was convinced there was something wrong with the bike as it just lugged and felt like it was missing a cylinder. I'll be taking it out again soon and using the "S" mode (only has one on my 2013 model)!

There was quite a lot of wind noise coming from the fork area so I'll be making a deflector as detailed elsewhere on the forum. I have a Givi Airflow screen which seems up to the job even though I'm 6'3".

I agree about the pegs; I'd like them a couple of inches further back. My bike is lowered by 20mm but it's still hard work swinging a leg over the pillion seat. However I can just about flat-foot it once i'm on.

Check your personal messages for a link to a wiring diagram!

• Offline crisort   gb

• Topic Author

Offline crisort

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2022, 01.37 pm
    Mar 06, 2022, 01.37 pm
    Yes, he did put thought into the upgrades rather than just bolting anything shiny on. That helped the purchase decision.

The screen riser does allow a phone to be mounted on it, and my head felt like it was in clear air. Just need to play a bit with different screen configurations to see what works best - and I'd probably have tried the kit he fitted so it's good I get that option!

I can't fault the suspension, but of course I don't get the benefit of seeing what it was like before to be able to truly appreciate it :-) It certainly rides nicely on it.

arab-exile