Author 2015 Crosstourer DCT - left brake lever mod instructions / pics  (Read 3918 times)

• Offline Klj   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Offline Klj

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Re: 2015 Crosstourer DCT - left brake lever mod instructions / pics
    Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2022, 02.54 pm
    Nov 27, 2022, 02.54 pm
    Hi Tony.  It was not difficult - the cable routing was ball aching. I think it best to use Honda lever and cylinder ( thanks for the kit once again!) for the job to look okay. I have now done 4 thousand miles plus since the mod. I can honestly say I wouldnt ride a DCT without it. I tour heavy loaded and the best think about the mod is the ability to feather the rear brake with the left lever whilst moderating the throttle. This is especially true when filtering or slow work on steep hills and sharp right turns. Its is doddle now. Good luck with it. Cheers .Ken

• Offline mad-dawg   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    94

Offline mad-dawg

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Harrogate
    Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04.31 pm
    Nov 27, 2022, 04.31 pm
    Hi Ken
    Thank you, I have bought a Forza 300 master cylinder off ebay and when that arrives I will replace the seals and order the brake line,  I bought a teardrop jobbie before I bought the bike  :164:. It was a good plan and kept reminding me to get on with buying a Crosstourer.

On the line I sold you, were the banjos in the right plane? ( I am cheating now cos if you say yes I will just repeat the order but maybe get an extra 300mm  :152:)

As its a 2017 bike I am sure I in for fun times with the handbrake, some guys who have done this mod on Africa Twins have moved the hand brake to the left crash bar  :156:. I will see what engineering (bodging) is required then come up with a plan.

Cheers
    Tony

• Offline sidco10   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    31

Offline sidco10

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2022, 07.26 pm
    Nov 30, 2022, 07.26 pm
    Well after a a trip round france and spain two up fully loaded the left brake was godsend, I tried a silverwing master cylinder at 1st but ended up with a forza one as its abit smaller.

My bike is a 2017 model with the tappered handle bars so the handbrake doesn't fit if you to slide it down the bars,so i bought a second-hand  nc750  handbrake and filed it out till it just fitted the bars not pretty but it works

• Offline Klj   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Offline Klj

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Nov 30, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Tony . Yes in the right plane and just long enough thanks . Good luck with it . Makes this model the bike it should have been . Ken

• Offline mad-dawg   gb

Offline mad-dawg

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2022, 08.38 am
    Dec 01, 2022, 08.38 am
    *Originally Posted by sidco10 [+]
    Well after a a trip round france and spain two up fully loaded the left brake was godsend, I tried a silverwing master cylinder at 1st but ended up with a forza one as its abit smaller.

My bike is a 2017 model with the tappered handle bars so the handbrake doesn't fit if you to slide it down the bars,so i bought a second-hand  nc750  handbrake and filed it out till it just fitted the bars not pretty but it works
    Thanks for the info, I will post details of how I have bodged my handbrake when its done.

• Offline mad-dawg   gb

Offline mad-dawg

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2022, 08.40 am
    Dec 01, 2022, 08.40 am
    *Originally Posted by Klj [+]
    Tony . Yes in the right plane and just long enough thanks . Good luck with it . Makes this model the bike it should have been . Ken

Thanks Ken
    I will crack on and order a new line later today and then dig out my thermals for a Christmas garage adventure

• Offline mad-dawg   gb

Offline mad-dawg

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05.21 pm
    Dec 06, 2022, 05.21 pm
    Little update....
    Master Cylinder arrived today (Forza 300), its externally pretty good, the fluid was a bit grim so gave it a quick clean. (Why do breakers send this stuff full of brake fluid).
    I was going to take a flyer on the seal condition but had a word with myself and ordered a service kit, I really dont want to get it all fitted and have an issue with the seals.

Went in the ice box (garage) and checked for available space on the bars, good news is the M/C will fit in place of the mirror bracket. Bad news is the parking brake is not for sliding anywhere because the bars are taper type.
    I assumed I would be able to butcher the clamp on the parking brake but its a non starter.
    I could change the bars to pre 2016 type but that seems like a lot of grief particularly getting the left heated grip off without knackering it

Lots of research later and I have a plan.

Its called a Bullet Brake, its just a plunger that holds the brake fluid under pressure. The plan is to install it on the new LH master cylinder, that way it will lock the rear wheel rather than the front.
    Its not cheap, with import duty and VAT its going to be about £200 for a tiny aluminium fitting.
    On the plus side it frees up a load of space on the bars and parking brakes from other bikes are a bit thin on the ground or equally expensive.

Just need to get the brake line ordered and I will be good to go, oh and a mild winter day would be a bonus.

I will try and make notes and take pictures in case anyone wants details.

• Offline sidco10   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    31

Offline sidco10

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07.50 pm
    Dec 06, 2022, 07.50 pm
    Mad dawg i have just looked on ebay nc750 parking brake for sale on there ,thats what i used on the tapered handlebars so i could file and fettle and use spacers to make it fit ,rather than butcher my original one it's not pretty but it works ,which is the main thing :001:

arab-exile