Author Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps  (Read 776 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Cajunhog   us

    • Crosstourer Member  ‐    24
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Cajunhog

    • Crosstourer Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 24
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Cajun Heartland
    • Country: us
    Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    on: Feb 07, 2022, 02.16 pm
    Feb 07, 2022, 02.16 pm
    Good day all! Wondering if I might solicit some help from someone who still has the OEM catalytic converter on their bike. I have a USA 2016 Manual Model. Been chasing down an issue on my bike that only has about 3700 miles on it at this point w/ approximately 30 months ownership since bought new old stock the end of August 2019. I’ve chased down an issue to now either I have a bad / clogged Cat , either bad from the factory , or possibly a rats nest in the Cat from sitting. Not sure which. Possibly the O2 sensor, but no code thrown by the bike. Motor / cooling system works as it should, bike stays in normal operating temp range. The exhaust however is getting  very hot & runs like it’s choked down. I changed my OEM can that the chrome discolored to a brownish chrome versus the OEM chrome Exhaust can protector. New aftermarket Delkavic melted off the black magnesium exhaust tip in roughly 70 miles . Blued up the aluminum on the X-Oval can where slips over the pipe.

    Yesterday I took the bike for a good spirited run to specifically observe the temp gauge & take Infrared Thermal readings on the exhaust in specific locations. Here is what I logged yesterday after 21 miles at 75-85 MPH Run.

    Normal operating temp on VFR after 21.4 hard miles running 75-85 MPH .

    288° Front exhaust pipe coming down front of motor

    272° right on the cat

    354°back of cat connects to pipe that goes to exhaust can

    254°where next to where pipe from slides into can

    434°where can starts and connects to pipe (all blued up too)

    320° at the back tip of the can where the magnesium melted

    Wondering if you can do a reading on your bikes exhaust and post your results for me to compare?

    My issues certainly appears to be coming between the Cat and the Exhaust. If that is the case I’ll De-Cat the bike and install Delkevic fell decat system to match the can.
     
    Temps recorded in Fahrenheit, I’ll gladly convert if you post in Celsius.

    Pics attached

    Thanks for you help!


    Last Edit: Feb 07, 2022, 02.50 pm by Cajunhog

  • Offline DaveinNC   us

    • Crosstourer Pro  ‐    265
    • ***
      #1

    Offline DaveinNC

    • Crosstourer Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 265
    • Riding since 1968
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Matthews NC
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2022, 11.00 am
    Feb 08, 2022, 11.00 am
    That sounds about normal to me, cats get hot, that's how they burn off unspent fuel. The first thing I would always do on my new Harleys is pull the exhaust and cut out the cat. It made riding those things much more pleasant. Since I have installed the H&B belly pan I have noticed more heat being directed upwards on my feet and legs but not nearly as bad as the HD's were. I plan on eventually installing the Delkevic headers to eliminate the cat. What you are describing sounds normal. My stock headers turned a nice shade of gold after a few thousand miles with a much more pronounced change on the cat area.

  • Offline Cajunhog   us

    • Crosstourer Member  ‐    24
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Cajunhog

    • Crosstourer Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 24
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Cajun Heartland
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12.18 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 12.18 pm
    I agree. Should be very hot, but hot enough to melt an exhaust tip in 70 miles?Did you see the tip of my can in the pic I posted?  I ordered the Delkavic decat exhaust yesterday. Hoping that fixes her up.

    *Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
    That sounds about normal to me, cats get hot, that's how they burn off unspent fuel. The first thing I would always do on my new Harleys is pull the exhaust and cut out the cat. It made riding those things much more pleasant. Since I have installed the H&B belly pan I have noticed more heat being directed upwards on my feet and legs but not nearly as bad as the HD's were. I plan on eventually installing the Delkevic headers to eliminate the cat. What you are describing sounds normal. My stock headers turned a nice shade of gold after a few thousand miles with a much more pronounced change on the cat area.
    Last Edit: Feb 08, 2022, 01.00 pm by Cajunhog

  • Offline DaveinNC   us

    • Crosstourer Pro  ‐    265
    • ***
      #3

    Offline DaveinNC

    • Crosstourer Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 265
    • Riding since 1968
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Matthews NC
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01.36 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 01.36 pm
    It's a thumbnail, not very good. Looks like the paint peeled off from what I can see. But again, with aftermarket parts, there is always the potential for compatibility issues. Who manufactured the can? I can't tell from the pic. I will be ordering the Delk decat system as soon as I decide on what can to order. I may just install the headers with the OEM muffler.   

  • Offline Cajunhog   us

    • Crosstourer Member  ‐    24
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline Cajunhog

    • Crosstourer Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 24
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Cajun Heartland
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01.40 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 01.40 pm
    That any better? If you look at an X-Oval Delkavic. It has a black magnesium type cap on the end that completely melted away in those 70 miles I mentioned .

    *Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
    It's a thumbnail, not very good. Looks like the paint peeled off from what I can see. But again, with aftermarket parts, there is always the potential for compatibility issues. Who manufactured the can? I can't tell from the pic. I will be ordering the Delk decat system as soon as I decide on what can to order. I may just install the headers with the OEM muffler.
    Last Edit: Feb 08, 2022, 01.42 pm by Cajunhog

  • Offline DaveinNC   us

    • Crosstourer Pro  ‐    265
    • ***
      #5

    Offline DaveinNC

    • Crosstourer Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 265
    • Riding since 1968
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Matthews NC
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01.53 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 01.53 pm
    Yea, much better. That's not normal. I would suspect that it's a QA issue with the endcap if you have no other issues with the bike. If the exhaust was getting so hot to melt magnesium that far away from the source I think you would be burning valves and pistons. You said there were no codes, does the bike smell hot, coolant temp, oil temp, any heat on the feet and legs, fuel in the motor oil? I would send a pic to delk and see what they say. I have never seen this before and I believe there would be other issues if it were the bike. 

  • Offline Cajunhog   us

    • Crosstourer Member  ‐    24
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline Cajunhog

    • Crosstourer Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 24
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Cajun Heartland
    • Country: us
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2022, 03.42 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 03.42 pm
    That is what is odd.According to the gauge , the  engine  operating temp 100% normal and consistent.

    That’s why  I’m hoping someone with stock exhaust w/ Cat still intact can check their temps on their bike after running it. Exhaust Can….. can be OEM or Aftermarket.

    *Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
    Yea, much better. That's not normal. I would suspect that it's a QA issue with the endcap if you have no other issues with the bike. If the exhaust was getting so hot to melt magnesium that far away from the source I think you would be burning valves and pistons. You said there were no codes, does the bike smell hot, coolant temp, oil temp, any heat on the feet and legs, fuel in the motor oil? I would send a pic to delk and see what they say. I have never seen this before and I believe there would be other issues if it were the bike.
    Last Edit: Feb 08, 2022, 03.48 pm by Cajunhog

  • Offline AnotherHonda   gb

    • Crosstourer Junior  ‐    14
    • *
      #7

    Offline AnotherHonda

    • Crosstourer Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 14
    • Country: gb
    Re: Exhaust & Cat Infrared Temps while at normal operating temps
    Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2022, 07.30 am
    Feb 09, 2022, 07.30 am
    On mine it looks like the cap is a composite that looks like Carbon fiber.

    Was that with the baffle in or out?

     I have the same can on my 88 XRV650 RD03 Africa Twin, the link pipe was home made from a 45° 304 stainless tube as no one makes them for an RD03. Mine melts the number plate as it pops on decel but the end cap is fine.



    I have a spare Delkevic Titanium X-oval 343mm silencer I was planning on buying a link pipe and fitting it to the Crosstourer but I'm now worried it's going to melt, Might fit one of the older Delkevic 350mm or 450mm Titanium oval cans I also have instead.


     



    arab-exile