Author Topic: Travelling through Portugal - Serra da Estrela  (Read 712 times)

Offline PeteVieira

• Crosstourer Member
Travelling through Portugal - Serra da Estrela
on: April 24, 2021, 11:47:11 PM

As the description of the video says, we went out of Lisbon by Friday after lunch, and arrived at Covilhã at night time. We had to mount the tents without much light but we managed to do it! First night was cold AF  :190: I took my 10 years-old sleeping bag that reached me to the chest (couldn't cover my arms) and it was a summer sleeping bag. Yeah I've suffered a bit in that chilling night with temperatures close to 0ºC, but next day i bought myself a treat! A brand new 10ºC and bigger sleeping bag!  :001:

The ride was awesome, great views! Never experienced before Serra da Estrela on a motorcycle and I had a blast! On Sunday I didn't recorded but we took close to 9 hours to arrive home with a lot of stops to stretch the legs and relief ear pain from the intercom headsets, only regional roads, from Covilhã, to Sertã, then to Ponte de Sor, Montargil, Couço, Coruche, Samora Correia and finally, Lisboa.

https://goo.gl/maps/pvHu5fHDzeXEryT26

Was a short weekend trip, but felt so damn good!!

Offline Red Boll

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: (near) Rotterdam
Re: Travelling through Portugal - Serra da Estrela
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 08:56:43 AM
Wow! What a great scenery to ride in!
I still have not visited Portugal :|

Here in The Netherlands is also still pretty chilly  :190:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:11:49 AM
One of the most unique places I have visited in Europe. A gem.

Great vid, Torre is the top of the world and the road up from Manteigas one of the best stretches of tarmac anywhere.

That last photo is beautiful.

:028:

Offline PeteVieira

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:16:36 AM
Much appreciated! the road down to Unhais da Serra is pretty incredible too, overwhelming scenery that my oldie hero 3+ black couldn't capture in the best way eheh. Now looking for the upgrate to hero 8 black to give a bit more quality to the videos as I'm planning some bigger trips in the next months

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:38:01 PM
just as soon as the politicos allow us I will be down! What are the cops like re bikes -in France they are "easy" about overtaking as they know we have the power.In Germany they arent,or here in Uk. Hopefully they will have more imoportant things to do.
If you come to UK our speed cameras don't understand "foreign " number plates -but the French send UK riders a ticket- costing us Euros but no points!
so all biker /cop stuff is good to know

baz

Offline PeteVieira

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:01:58 PM
actually i'm not sure how they handle "foreign" riders here, to be honest, they don't even know how they should handle Portuguese riders! One cop might pass you a ticket for having a homologated exhaust system, but other might know better and simple ask you to go easy on the speed. We have tons of speed cams everywhere, but normally you can see them pretty well (they should have a blue sign alerting for that a few kms before). But they also like to "hunt" down the tickets, hidding in the grass with a mobile camera... I've always asked myself how they handle foreign tickets, but I believe they would send the ticket to original country... if they feel like it...  :027:

But yeah, regarding overtaking normally you are safe, as long as you don't drive too fast, if you use some aftermarket exhaust, make sure to use the db killer, as they are in fact passing a lot of tickets for this kind of changes in the bike