Author Topic: Which socket set size  (Read 755 times)

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Re: Which socket set size
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 10:11:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Jfro5867 [+]
... If you buy a cheapo one you might regret it and wish you’d got a better one anyway? Buy cheap buy twice as the saying goes  :789:
I totally agree with that and i mostly do that but sometimes i buy something cheap for something i expect to use only 2 or 3 times and that was in the Lidl set.
This set did surprise me and i'm an advanced DIY mechanic (some example on my blog @ ride4life.nl) so i used them a lot over the few years i have them now.

Online Max2007

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 11:37:51 AM
Lidl tools in general are cheap and very good compare to price, from my expirience!
👍

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 01:35:39 PM
last year they (Lidl) were selling flip front helmets at £30 which retailed at £130 but its a bit of a lottery -some stuff they sell is very good value -other stuff is rubbish. I use their battery chargers which have a car / bike setting and at £14 were a steal. If you log in to their site you can get warnings of upcoming bargains-I believe Aldi do the same

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 03:32:29 PM
Yeah... with tools or other user stuff with the only risk of damaging other stuff i would take a chance but with gear that should safe my life not so much.
It's all within the EU regulations and the biggest saving is on longevity and that's another point for me not to try helmets from the low range. Last year i drove 20.000km on the CT and 1500 in 2 months in the XT.
This year going to be more for certain so i will use the tools al lot for maintenance but also wear the helmet a lot and cheap helmets tend to loose fitment a lot faster.

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 06:12:59 PM
Hi Ray,
I am not recommending you buy a cheap helmet-merely pointing out that the same goods can be bought at vastly different prices. Helmets are a minefield,far better to be able to "test ride" one but it's not possible.I have toyed with the idea of a "helmet test centre" ie try lots of different helmets whilst sitting on your own bike ,in a wind tunnel.You could then suss out the noise on your own head,and if comfortable.But I couldn't see how it could be made profitable..It's not like you could do with clothes -order several,try and send back -apparently that's what some people do. As who would want a previously worn helmet (especially with Covid about)?

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:25 PM
I have seen a booth in a bike gear store where you could try a helmet on whilst having air blasted at you.
Can’t say I think it would really be of any benefit other than back to back trying several helmets at the same time.
 Even then, bike and gear you’re wearing also has an impact on noise.

Offline jon.milburn

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 01:15:28 PM
Got this set from Halfords for starters, seems good quality, and can add to it when required.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 02:29:15 PM
it's a HONDA jon, you don't need tools  :164:

arab-exile