Author Topic: Replacement for the VFR?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Re: Replacement for the VFR?
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:25 AM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
Before buying the CT I test rode the Crossrunner -ideal power,loved the vtec  but no DCT so that was out.The Africa Twin nearly dislocated my titanium right hip with the extra high rack-so that was out.My NC 750  DCT was not powerful enough to excite. So the ideal bike for me would be a 900cc DCT with maybe 85hp and less weight than the lardy CT.

I have to admit I laughed at the titanium hip comment!  I was not laughing at your condition by any means...I still have gallows humor from being a cop for so long.   

I think we are in teh same ballpark on what we want out of a bike.   I will seriously be considering the NC750X if the US gets the new iteration.   I rarely need to pass anymore.   I want a lighter bike I can kind of throw around a little bit.  I had an NC700 and only sold it for the garage space.   Loved it.   Not exciting but still kind of fun. 

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 11:36:34 AM
It looks like it's an Africa Twin in a tux. If they are using the same motor it may be attractive to the AT crowd that never ventures off the highway. I test rode the X, the AT, the S10, and the MTS before I purchased the X. The AT and S10 were lethargic compared to the X. The X was lethargic compared to the MTS but that power came at twice the cost and the ergos on the X were much better. This CB1100 looks like a nice bike and it will probably find a US market but after owning the 1200 V4 some may find it boring. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Crosstourer Member
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 03:53:44 PM
*Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
It looks like it's an Africa Twin in a tux.

I wouldn't take too much notice of what it looks like, that image is a Photoshop mockup, we know it's probably a 1100 but the reality is that it could look quite different to the pic  :038:

:031:

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 05:00:10 PM
*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
I have to admit I laughed at the titanium hip comment!  I was not laughing at your condition by any means...I still have gallows humor from being a cop for so long.   

I think we are in teh same ballpark on what we want out of a bike.   I will seriously be considering the NC750X if the US gets the new iteration.   I rarely need to pass anymore.   I want a lighter bike I can kind of throw around a little bit.  I had an NC700 and only sold it for the garage space.   Loved it.   Not exciting but still kind of fun.
I must have an affinity with cops -my best mate ,ex biker ,now resident in Thailand was in the CID and my son in law is in the French police! I had the NC for 6 years but at 69 decided that I needed a bit more excitement on my rides -or less if doing an overtake.It needs more thought and skill with only 54hp! But age and infirmity makes me think that it may be a short lived romance -hence my nickname of the Hippo.Sure I appreciate once moving it's weighless but you gotta stop to get off sometime! maybe Honda should offer a pair of hydraulic stabilisers!
Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 05:01:49 PM by bazza950

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 04:46:14 AM
Interesting comments.  Honda does make mistakes, but I think they generally hit the mark.   I am wondering if they are focusing on the NC, VFR, and AT owners as a group of buyers knowing how our preferences change over time and trying to find a medium that could entice a purchase of the bike by many of those owners.  My thought process is NC owners want to move up a bit, AT riders move more toward on-road weekend jaunts, and the VFR owners are looking for something still kind of fun but a bit easier to move around in the garage and at low speed.   Total hobbyist and don't know a bunch about running a motorcycle company so I could be talking out of my hindside.   Anyhow, I still find it an interesting bike and interesting perspectives on its possible entry into the market.   . 

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 04:49:59 AM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
I must have an affinity with cops -my best mate ,ex biker ,now resident in Thailand was in the CID and my son in law is in the French police! I had the NC for 6 years but at 69 decided that I needed a bit more excitement on my rides -or less if doing an overtake.It needs more thought and skill with only 54hp! But age and infirmity makes me think that it may be a short lived romance -hence my nickname of the Hippo.Sure I appreciate once moving it's weighless but you gotta stop to get off sometime! maybe Honda should offer a pair of hydraulic stabilisers!

My understanding is that France's police force now has some of the best trained tactical officers in the world.   I was also a Detective in Chicago and here in Florida (tactical officer too in Chicago).  I saw one of the stabilizers on a you tube ad some time back.  Always three wheels or a convertible too!   

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 11:40:52 PM
I saw this bike announced on Bike exif and thought it looked good. I had considered a Crossrunner but would miss DCT . I don’t ride Offroad , have not intention of doing so, therefore a road biased AT with DCT would make sense for me and although I like the go of my V4 most of the time 100bhp is plenty. The only disappointment is the lack of shaft drive. My last 4 main bikes have all been shafties.