Author Topic: Oil/gasoline in airbox + another failed attempt changing spark plugs  (Read 1120 times)

Offline plukenannabel

• Crosstourer Member
the sputtering is normal, but might be reduced if you seal the connection from the headers to the aftermarket silencer. There is some air coming in there. The silencer makes it sound worse than it is. I dont think this silencer is doing much for you, besides weight saving and ticking of the neighbors :038:

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Great idea, haven't thought about the pipe seals. The exhaust is great though! Nice sound. The baffle is in and it generates a much lower grunting sound. Take it out and it just gets obnoxiously loud.

(I dislike the V4, I'll take a 270° any day soundwise)

Drools at the AT and T7 :164:

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Parafield Garden
Hi changing the front plugs has been asked before on this forum not so long ago (not sure how to find it now) To cut a really long story short, completely remove the whole air box (trumpets etc), move the electrics away from the head stem area of the frame and using the genuine Honda plug spanner (the only tool that fits) come down from the top of the frame (the head stem area) and they are accessible from there. The most time consuming part is removing &  moving all the crap out of the way.           
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
*Originally Posted by Big-red [+]
Hi changing the front plugs has been asked before on this forum not so long ago (not sure how to find it now) To cut a really long story short, completely remove the whole air box (trumpets etc), move the electrics away from the head stem area of the frame and using the genuine Honda plug spanner (the only tool that fits) come down from the top of the frame (the head stem area) and they are accessible from there. The most time consuming part is removing &  moving all the crap out of the way.           

Yes, that was me... I tried with the original Honda spark plug spanner that came with the bike. I just can't seem to reach it. I'll try again in a few weeks when I have a week off from work. I need to find a solution for the 4 seized bolts holding down the front two trumpets. The heads are stripped. Probably will glue a philips head bit to it using metal resin and then try and twist it.

Thanks for the how-to info, much appreciated!
Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:43:38 PM by CT_Ron

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
on the seized screws try using an impact screw driver, used properly you can't damage anything underneath. good vice grips could be another option. the standard Honda plug spanner definitely fits. you might have to rotate the spanner on the plug a hex at a time until the 10mm hex extension comes in on the correct angle to then drop down onto the plug. the right side plug was more fiddly than the left. stick to it you will get there with perseverance, good luck please keep in touch and updated.
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
Your making me feel guilty re not having any luck with the front plugs. You have to take my word it can be done.
The wet air box doesn't look anything untoward looks like a combination of oil and moisture and not excessive or serious. Thank goodness we do not experience the fuel issues you guys do. I feel success is on the horizon, stick with it. 

arab-exile