Author Topic: Changing the front two spark plugs  (Read 742 times)

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Re: Changing the front two spark plugs
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 08:29:02 AM
Ha, let's hope not! I bought my crosstourer with 89K on the clock, swapping it for my Africa Twin which had nothing but problems. The dealer had the bike imported from Germany and had all of its 12K dealer maintenance done there. Germany has strict MOT on bikes, so I'm guessing at 96K, the sparks should have been changed. I'm at 102K at the moment and the picture below is from the rear plug at around 95K.

I went to Norway this summer and ride daily to work. I don't notice any bad starts or skipping beats. This engine is still working good! But the time has come I just gotta bite the bullet and change them before winter fully sets in. Everything changes when cold weather and crappy lean gasoline is given at the pumps.

(PS: you're not the Australian guy from Big Bike Adventure right?)

Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:33:21 AM by CT_Ron

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Parafield Garden
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 12:56:21 PM
No i'm 63 and retired, I do not or have not ever had any affiliation to the motorcycling industry, I have only connected to the outside world in the last 12 months (due to my work situation social media etc was not advisable) I am a life member of the Velocette MCC (competition club) which I joined in 1976 when going racing seemed like a good idea. I have always done all my own maintenance, repairs & rebuilds on my cars & bikes. just love learning and problem solving things mechanically and sharing with anyone who needs a hand. Loving the CT and learning all the time.   
Even with the enormous size of Australia and 80% of the place is country or remote it's highly unlikely you would ever encounter dodgy fuel no matter where you travelled (it's how it works here) Where I live South Australia (Adelaide) winter here is just cold and reasonably dry climate it doesn't snow here (Adelaide) things don't freeze up etc. so mechanically everything stays fairly consistent. Good luck with the plugs.   
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Offline English biker

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 04:26:36 PM
Hi Guys, 
My C.T. is on 32,000 now so i`ve made a start changing the spark plugs today and thought i'd have a browse on here for any helpfull info only to find your thread,
I`m by no means a mechanic, and on a couple of occasions thought of backing off and putting it all back together again, A Anyway, to get at those 2 front plugs, and give me more room to work, i have removed the 'black box' which, to do so i un-pluggd the 3 connectors,
Blue black & white, now i'm slightly concerned as, I may need to re-set something to get up and running again.

Any advice / thoughts anybody ?
Thanks         

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 05:39:33 PM
*Originally Posted by English biker [+]
Hi Guys, 
My C.T. is on 32,000 now so i`ve made a start changing the spark plugs today and thought i'd have a browse on here for any helpfull info only to find your thread,
I`m by no means a mechanic, and on a couple of occasions thought of backing off and putting it all back together again, A Anyway, to get at those 2 front plugs, and give me more room to work, i have removed the 'black box' which, to do so i un-pluggd the 3 connectors,
Blue black & white, now i'm slightly concerned as, I may need to re-set something to get up and running again.

Any advice / thoughts anybody ?
Thanks         

I don't think so. I had them disconnected too and once I removed it and saw the valve intake, I was confused what to do next and put it back together out of fear of wrecking the bike. Nothing changed when I fired the bike up.

I will be doing it again in the near future when I have time to change the sparks plugs. Let us know how you managed to do it. Big Red already gave tips on how to do it in this thread.

Offline English biker

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
Thanks for the reply CT_Ron.
 Thats good to hear.
I have the Workshop Manual which sort of shows you how to get at them but the images in the manual doesn’t show all the wiring up front that you have to move out of the way to get at them.
 I will order the plugs now and attempt to get at those front 2 when they arrive.
 As others have said regarding removing the front plugs, they can be done with a little patience & fiddling but neither of those are my strong points haha

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 06:54:13 PM
Luckily I'm a patient man, but I ALWAYS drop or break something during maintenance. My bike has two screws and even a T5 canbus light stuck inside the bike and headlight unit. I've dropped an allen wrench inside the cockpit, a screwdriver in-between the V setup of the engine and pretty much have half of the plastic rivets holding the body work together, snapped of and ducttapped together. I've also snapped off the drive shaft oil fill cap. (And I just learned I'm the only one without an Africa Twin light switch for my auxiliary lights  :008:)

If you happend to have bought the plugs for a good deal, let me know. These iridium plugs are very expensive :005:

Offline English biker

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:59 PM
 :745: haha gotta laugh,,,
Still doesn’t stop you from trying though....
Spark plug wise, I’ll probably just buy from the cheapest & reputable on flea-bay

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 07:16:53 PM
I never quit. But when I saw the air intake valves, and visualized all the stuff I was most likely going to drop in them, I bailed and postponed it haha. Can't have a drill bit or spark plug inside the cilinder :087: