Author Topic: manual v Dct will it be my wallet that decides  (Read 669 times)

Online Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Re: manual v Dct will it be my wallet that decides
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:41:47 PM
Hi andyrob,

We all like different things but I'm not so sure DCT on a sports bike would work. I think you do need to be plugged in more to the fine control of the bike. Is a sports car ever quite right with an auto box? In a GT (Grand Tourer) the auto or DCT version makes more sense perhaps.

I'm in no way talented enough for this but I can't imagine anyone going flat out on a bend on a DCT Fireblade hoping that it doesn't decide to go down a gear all of a sudden. Fresh pants please 💩

Online matt28

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 CT manual
  • City / Town: South East
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 04:14:22 PM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
I too am looking to buy a CT but there's no decision to make -it HAS to be DCT.
i had a mini stroke 2 years ago and 99% recovered but slight loss of sensation in left foot.So DCT is a god send! I bought my DCT 6 years ago, drive a 7 speed auto Merc or my 6 gear VW van - but why bother with gears? Sure you can "play" with the paddles but it's great in traffic not doing the "Hendon shuffle" when you pull away. The only issue I ever had was in the Alps on a downhill straight, the bike changing UP when the corner wanted a change DOWN! So paddles used on those from then on! so save up a bit and haggle -Brits are useless at that! :169:

Hi bazza, nice to see you at another forum (ex NC owner here)

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 06:03:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Jfro5867 [+]
Hi andyrob,

We all like different things but I'm not so sure DCT on a sports bike would work. I think you do need to be plugged in more to the fine control of the bike. Is a sports car ever quite right with an auto box? In a GT (Grand Tourer) the auto or DCT version makes more sense perhaps.

I'm in no way talented enough for this but I can't imagine anyone going flat out on a bend on a DCT Fireblade hoping that it doesn't decide to go down a gear all of a sudden. Fresh pants please 💩

Fine control is what the manual mode is for.

1st thing I do after pressing “start” is put my 2013 in MT!

I tried Sport auto for the 1st time in years on the twisties following a mate at the weekend. 
 Luckily I pinched the seat that hard at an unexpected down change that your final emoji there, never popped out! 😆 Got a coupla hundred yards and that was enough for me.

Being banned in MotoGP never helped its cause either. Would have been easier for sports bike jockeys to accept. A lot of folk still thinks it’s a rubber band auto box/ just an automatic bike.

Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
  • City / Town: Nr Colchester
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 07:55:43 PM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
it's great in traffic not doing the "Hendon shuffle" when you pull away.

Now there's an expression I've not heard in a long time & a habit you can never quite lose  :047:

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 08:20:46 PM
I find it very interesting when people say that the DCT would not suit a sportsbike, manual is better for fast riding etc. Look at nearly all the top end sports/supercars and manual isnt even an option now, they all have a DCT 'box (sometimes by another name). I do get the concerns about it shifting mid corner but as Andtrob says, thats where manual mode comes in.  The truth is that these boxes are so much faster now than you can change gear manually.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 01:43:33 PM
*Originally Posted by matt28 [+]
Hi bazza, nice to see you at another forum (ex NC owner here)

I had the NC Also.  Loved that bike.  Love the VFR more, but still want the NC back.  Rumor has it the NC line is being replaced by an 850 just patented. 

Offline Mino

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 05:23:09 AM
I only have 600+ miles on my DCT, but that's enough to know I am very happy I took a chance and chose the DCT over the manual (I never had even test rode a DCT before buying mine). It takes a little getting used to, but once you sort it out it is so much more enjoyable to ride. I think if I had to pick one word to best describe the DCT it would be pleasurable. If the type of riding you enjoy most involves a lot of shifting due to changing road conditions such as tight low gear turns and short but somewhat abrupt up and down sections, the DCT makes the ride much more enjoyable, at least for me. Because in that type of riding shifting for me becomes a chore and when I ride 'chore' is not the word I want to best describe my time enjoying the country side from my saddle.

arab-exile