Author Topic: manual v Dct will it be my wallet that decides  (Read 671 times)

Offline sidco10

• Crosstourer Junior
manual v Dct will it be my wallet that decides
on: September 28, 2020, 07:45:27 PM
HI New to the FORUM just need some advice from ct world,I am still pondering either the manual v dct I have test ridden the Highlander Dct 2 up and loved the thing.The reason for my question is I have limited movement in my left foot not so bad as I can't use a gearshift just I have to lift my boot up because my ankle won't shift which on my last bike a SV1000  was just getting annoying, So technically I can ride both but the dct  was very impressive,  now the dilemma, I have seen a few manual  full highlander spec for a good deal less than the dct  (2016  onwards) I presume the manual models are all basically the same so what  do I do? am I  just being wowed by the technical marvel that is dct ? this will be the most I Have ever spent on a bike so I want to make sure it's the right one ...Advice ,experiences ,abuse all welcome
cheers

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: nc750X DCT
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Re: manual v Dct will it be my wallet that decides
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:39 PM
I too am looking to buy a CT but there's no decision to make -it HAS to be DCT.
i had a mini stroke 2 years ago and 99% recovered but slight loss of sensation in left foot.So DCT is a god send! I bought my DCT 6 years ago, drive a 7 speed auto Merc or my 6 gear VW van - but why bother with gears? Sure you can "play" with the paddles but it's great in traffic not doing the "Hendon shuffle" when you pull away. The only issue I ever had was in the Alps on a downhill straight, the bike changing UP when the corner wanted a change DOWN! So paddles used on those from then on! so save up a bit and haggle -Brits are useless at that! :169:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 01:22:10 AM
For 2-up work DCT was a must have for me. The pillion is glad I made that choice. Never bother with the auto mode, have to much fun with my finger and thumb and such a flexible engine.

Sold my SV1000Sk3 and bought a Speed Twin earlier in the year. CT slaughters them both everywhere apart from bottom end grunt.

Happy hunting!

Online Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:53:52 AM
Morning Sidco10,

I had a manual CT a couple of years ago, traded for something else (got tempted by a sports bike that I thought I needed) but I didn't actually ride any faster than the CT and  it was much less comfortable and wasn't as versatile. Yet Another life lesson.

So I decided to get another CT while a few new ones were available. I chose the DCT this time because of all the rave reviews. The manual is a great bike and I never had any issue with it.

To compare them. I know the DCT is 10kg heavier but TBH I can't feel it. I think the DCT suits the CT well because it's a tour-ey all rounder but I don't think it would be such a good choice on say, a sports bike. Wrong fit.

DCT is lovely and I can honestly say I hardly ever look at the tacho or gear indicator now because it's irrelevant. Bikes always in the meaty zone. I like sports 1. No issue with slow speed control. You soon get the hang of it. It's nothing like a moped so bin that idea. Feels every bit a big powerful motorbike.

If you can find one for a price you like, with a left foot issue, go DCT.

With no foot problem manual is a great choice.

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 04:31:53 PM
I agree with what’s been said by others, the DCT is, in my opinion the way to go.
Especially if your planning any long distance touring as the extremely intuitive system makes for a far less tiring ride and as previously mentioned so much more comfortable for the pillion as no helmet banging.
I spent 3 years with a manual Highlander, which I loved, while stubbornly refusing a test ride on a DCT version when invited by the dealer at each service interval until eventually I succumbed and boy was I surprised, loved it and thus started a search for a DCT Highlander.
I’ve had my DCT 3 years now and have to say it is THE best bike I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had a few, and even if I do eventually change it would certainly be another DCT Honda.
It also has to be said that most DCT owners say that they would not go back to a manual bike.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline sidco10

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:19:34 PM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
I too am looking to buy a CT but there's no decision to make -it HAS to be DCT.
i had a mini stroke 2 years ago and 99% recovered but slight loss of sensation in left foot.So DCT is a god send! I bought my DCT 6 years ago, drive a 7 speed auto Merc or my 6 gear VW van - but why bother with gears? Sure you can "play" with the paddles but it's great in traffic not doing the "Hendon shuffle" when you pull away. The only issue I ever had was in the Alps on a downhill straight, the bike changing UP when the corner wanted a change DOWN! So paddles used on those from then on! so save up a bit and haggle -Brits are useless at that! :169:

thanks for the reply you even answered  a question I forgot to ask  about touring,looks like its more saving :)

Offline sidco10

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, more saving required !! I'm  just getting impatient not having a big bike to ride I have a Silverwing 600 which doubles as a budget touring machine because the girlfriend was not going on the back of the Sv1000(now sold) for 2 weeks with  Tesco's bags as luggage :)

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 11:22:05 AM
Always disappointed me Honda was never brave enough to offer DCT on a sports bike. Any account I have read of the VFR-F DCT said it was a real weapon on the road. And from accounts of the latest versions of it here and AT owners it’s even better/slicker.

arab-exile