Author Topic: driveshaft maintenance  (Read 3579 times)

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Re: driveshaft maintenance
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 08:33:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Irokrom [+]
I serviced the motorcycle in the cold, I have not ridden it for a week, so do you know how to change brake and cooling fluids into DTC versions? or is there an instruction here somewhere? because there are no videos on YT

I have changed brake fluids, but it's a long story to type. You can pretty much Google or youtube any general video. It's pretty much the same way on all bikes. If you do it by hand, you basically do the same thing:

- Remove the cap on the brake reservoir.
- Open the bleeding valve on the calliper by a quarter (see manual).

- Use a hose or a lot of rags to protect the tire and brake pads from the fluid.

- Squeesh and HOLD brake lever.
- Close the bleeding valve on the calliper first.
- Release the brake lever.
- Repeat about 20/30 times, whatever the amount it takes untill you see clear fluid come out.

But make sure you NEVER EVER drain the reservoir empty, because you'll suck in air and than you need to bleed it completely through, wasting fluid and hours of work. So make sure your reservoir is always filled with DOT4 brake fluid (don't mix brands).

I believe 200ml is needed to bleed the front valves through. You'll eventually see clear fluid squirt out of the calliper. You have two sides, when you bleed the smaller tube (I believe the left side) it takes about another 100ml to bleed that one through. The hose splits in two under the headlight, but you can only bleed one at a time, unless you have help.

Remember, front and rear brakes are connected on the VFR, so once you're done pumping the rear brake lever, also take time to bleed the hose in-between by keeping the rear calliper open, and squeeze the front brake (the front reservoir drains too). Again, keep an eye out you don't drain the reservoir. Rear reservoir is somewhere inbetween the seat and side panels.

I'm not great at explaining, it might sound like a lot, but it's pretty easy. It just takes time. So put on some music and stay concentrated.

Once you're done, pump both brakes before riding a couple of times, because the pressure is not yet fully restored.

This way also works for your clutch fluid, although I forgot where that bleeding valve sits...
Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:58:46 PM by CT_Ron

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:29 PM
*Originally Posted by CT_Ron [+]
...(don't mix brands).
Mixing brands is no problem but don't mix with DOT5.1 and definitely not with DOT5.
After draining you can refill it with DOT5,1 but if you want to change to DOT5 you need to completely clean the system.
DOT5.1 can handle higher temperatures but there are also a high performance versions of DOT4 which has an even higher boiling point.

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 05:37:27 AM
Thanks for correcting Ray, I wrote it wrong  :152: (I use Castrol DOT4)

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 07:40:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Showkey [+]
I put the 7 oz. of oil as per the spec. in the manual.

Still think the side stand check is a typo ( aka error).  Side stand .....It makes no sense and to many variables.
/Its seems far more sensible to check onn a centre stand but unless that's fitted as standard,the makers cannot tell people to fit one to check the oil!  What variables -the side stand has the same angle to the oil level unless someone parks on a steep slope (brave or very strong!)

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #44 on: January 26, 2021, 08:31:44 AM
Agreed, also filling it up should be done on the sidestand. The 4L going in can only be read correctly on the side stand that way. On a centerstand the glass reading reads overfill after pooring in 3 litres. I've tried and checked this when I changed my oil. Since we all know how much has to go in, it doesn't matter how you do, but if you want to read your oil lvl, it has to be done on the side stand.

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 09:54:46 AM
Engine oil should be checked upright, not on the centetstand and not on the sidestand. That is the only way with the least amount of variables.

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #46 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:59 AM
I don't think I'll ever balance 285kg with one arm while crouching and checking the oil level. I've had a Varadero fall on me in the past like that. Hot engine to hand: hmmmmm, BBQ

Offline Max2007

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #47 on: January 28, 2021, 08:10:55 AM
*Originally Posted by CT_Ron [+]
I don't think I'll ever balance 285kg with one arm while crouching and checking the oil level. I've had a Varadero fall on me in the past like that. Hot engine to hand: hmmmmm, BBQ

You dont have to balnce the bike with one hand and checking oil, just put mobile phone at side of the bike and do video while centering a bike with two hands!! 😉👍!

arab-exile