Author Topic: STAND FOR OIL CHANGE  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Asct17

• Crosstourer Member
Re: STAND FOR OIL CHANGE
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 03:26:37 PM
Thank you!

Maybe someone can explain this from the Honda manual.  Under "Changing Engine Oil & Filter", Item 4 says:

VFR1200X/XD
Place your motorcycle on a firm, level surface.

VFR1200XA/XDA
Place your motorcycle on its center stand on a firm, level surface.

For XA/XDA they direct us to use center stand but not for X/XD!  Why?
XD is for Dual Clutch Transmission.  What does XDA stand for?

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 08:16:15 PM
Never use a manual too literately, i've never seen a manual without mistakes en sometimes  they tell you even what to do but in fact allready should know before you even think about buying tools if you want my opinion.
But in this case there is also a possibility that the first model don't have a centerstand and the other does.
The XDA can be the 2016 model, in that case the "A" is added to recognise that is the model with de model updates like the adjustable windscreen, multiple TC settings and maybe also a stock centerstand.

Offline Asct17

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 08:47:36 PM
Hi Ray, thank you for all your replies.  I appreciate it.

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 02:55:08 PM
If you have a center stand use it for you sight glass measurement. If you do not use something else to hold the bike upright on a level surface. I have always used the center stand only for checking oil level and changing oil. The only time I use an additional jack is for getting the front tire off the ground to take it off.

Here are two examples of how to use your sight glass one with a center stand and the other with a front wheel chock. Is there a difference in the sight glass level? Yes, but the difference is so slight I would not worry about it. With the center stand back wheel is off the ground and with the wheel chock is about an inch with my Condor wheel chock.  See pictures below.

My picture uploads are not working right I will post later.
Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:58:59 PM by Grabcon
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

Offline zphenyl

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 01:26:53 PM
I was checking my oil yesterday and just fun decided to check the difference in oil slight glass level.

1.  On center stand checked oil level
2.  Took bike off center stand. Sat/stood balancing the bike and used a mirror on telescoping pole to check level.

As mentioned above, so little difference it's not worth balancing act.

If you have a center stand, ride more worry less.

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 04:19:44 PM
This afternoon just done my first oil and filters change (DCT). 507 miles. On the centre stand in the garage which is as level as any garage floor. Now, prior to dropping the oil I noted on a number of occasions the sight glass was showing over full, over the MAX mark. I assumed it was a factory fill so must be right. Anyhow, I put 4 litres exactly in and ran the bike a few times to let it settle. Level on sight glass is now just under MAX and where I would consider it to be spot on. So, maybe factory fill wasn't so accurate after all and it had been overfilled or maybe on this bike it's not as critical as some others? Examined the oil and there were a few extremely tiny specs of metal but nothing untowards at all. 👍

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 04:59:47 PM
Been out today for a spin. Parked up in the garage, exactly the same spot. Having just checked, the oil sight glass is over max, like it was before. So, I was wrong about factory fill. I know the right amount is in there so I'm not concerned. Perhaps the double clutch has an oil bath or something and that oil drains down? Anyway, just wanted to correct my last entry.

Offline Asct17

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:24 AM
This topic is getting interesting.  Thank you to all of you.

Jfro, I have about 450 miles and thinking of doing oil change myself and keeping the receipts for warranty purposes.  I will probably do it on an automotive creeper.  Even though I have quit thinking about scissor lifts, I am seriously thinking about getting a motorcycle table like Pittsburgh 1000 lb Motorcycle table.  But it is not easy to fold and I have 2 cars.

arab-exile