Author Topic: STAND FOR OIL CHANGE  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Parafield Garden
Re: STAND FOR OIL CHANGE
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:39:37 AM
Hi All
I always change and refill the oil by measurement (litres) as per the owners manual not by how the bike is positioned. partly prompted by the situation that I fitted a 20mm lowering kit when I first bought it as such it has never sat level.
Greg   
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Online CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:38:03 PM

Center stand is love, center stand is life!

Whenever I need the front wheel/forks removed, I use a chopper type lift to simply tip the bike over using the center stand as a pivot point. I have a skid plate installed because I don't want to damage the very very, very exposed exhaust system underneath.

By the way, for those doing it on the side stand, oil level measurement and change is done in an upright position. Just use a block of wood under your side stand or use a front wheel lock. Manual states the amount of oil needed for a change with and without a filter swap, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:42:22 PM by CT_Ron

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:05:14 PM
That's how i use my scissorlift now. That's why i removed the supports.

Offline Asct17

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:25 PM
CT_Ron, Thank You!!

Is the lift supporting the bike via the skid plate?
Is is possible to get a closer picture to see the underside?  I don't have a skid plate.  Seems like the skid plate is required if I want to lift the bike like that.

Online CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 11:03:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Asct17 [+]
CT_Ron, Thank You!!

Is the lift supporting the bike via the skid plate?
Is is possible to get a closer picture to see the underside?  I don't have a skid plate.  Seems like the skid plate is required if I want to lift the bike like that.

The bike's center stand is still supporting the large bulk of the weight. All I use the lift for is to tip it backwards to raise the front wheel by pushing upwards underneath the skidplate. My plate is attached via two bolts on the front (each side) and two in the rear, somewhere behind the brake and shift levers. I don't let the full weight of the bike rest on the skid, just to be sure. The jack can hold the bikes weight, but I don't know how strong those 4 points of attachment are. You can always try and get a lift and find a solid part of the engine and let it rest on it like _ray_ demonstrates.

Do you want a picture of the skid plates belly? I can make some for you tommorow.
Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 11:12:52 PM by CT_Ron

Offline Asct17

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 06:25:49 AM
CT_Ron, thank you so much!

That's exactly what I was thinking - weight on the skid plate.  Skid plate can't stand the entire weight. Exhaust pipes are at risk.  I did read your message but still can't figure out those attachment points and how the system works.  Sorry I keep asking this.  If it's not too much trouble, please take some close-up pictures that explain setup - how bike is being jacked.  If you don't have time, you can ignore my request.  Thank you.

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 07:11:27 AM
*Originally Posted by CT_Ron [+]
The bike's center stand is still supporting the large bulk of the weight. All I use the lift for is to tip it backwards to raise the front wheel by pushing upwards underneath the skidplate. My plate is attached via two bolts on the front (each side) and two in the rear, somewhere behind the brake and shift levers. I don't let the full weight of the bike rest on the skid, just to be sure. The jack can hold the bikes weight, but I don't know how strong those 4 points of attachment are. You can always try and get a lift and find a solid part of the engine and let it rest on it like _ray_ demonstrates.

Do you want a picture of the skid plates belly? I can make some for you tommorow.
The skid plate can hold the weight. I have the Hepco & Becker witch is almost the same, only a bit higher on the front to protect de manifold also.
I lifted the bike on it and also did an offroad training with log hops coming on to the skid plate with force (you don't do it right the first time and also not everytime).

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 07:21:47 AM
*Originally Posted by Asct17 [+]
CT_Ron, thank you so much!

That's exactly what I was thinking - weight on the skid plate.  Skid plate can't stand the entire weight. Exhaust pipes are at risk.  I did read your message but still can't figure out those attachment points and how the system works.  Sorry I keep asking this.  If it's not too much trouble, please take some close-up pictures that explain setup - how bike is being jacked.  If you don't have time, you can ignore my request.  Thank you.
I thought you needed the lift because you didn't have a centerstand.
I always check the oil on the centerstand, it really doesn't affect the level that much. Best way to make it easy and right is check it once with the wheels on the ground and than on the centerstand. That way you know what the level supposed to be that way.
But when you want the bike to be level on the centerstand using a lift than you can put it under the exhaust, it's strong enough.
You can also see if you have an anchorpoint or make one and pull the back down with a ratchet strap.
Both ways i used before i had the skidplate to do work on the front.