Author Topic: Why did the British press have a downer on the CT?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Why did the British press have a downer on the CT?
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 08:25:48 PM
Been out a few years that film but yes, i agree, not sure every owner would have had the same response from BMW.

Offline robinreliant

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: vfr1200 X DCT
  • City / Town: Bruton
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 11:41:26 AM
I have a view....probably not very technical, but selling bikes is about creating a desire to own, ride and be associated with a particular model.
The CT marketing has been abysmal. It is anonymous....I like the looks and many of the features are attractive but as a package it does not attract. First of all what a dreadful name! Often changed to Cross-dresser! Badges are lost into colour schemes, there is no indication that it has a great V4 engine and the front of the bike in the engine area looks like the plumbing at the back of a dishwasher, hidden by some tatty bits of plastic. Selling it as a competitor to the big GS was a non starter because it is certainly not as versatile and it really is too heavy to do anything more than gentle trips down gravelled tracks, because it is just too heavy.
But I really do love mine! It is the best tourer I have owned.  (and that is a lot of bikes!) Smooth, fast and substantial. It doesnt' vary even when loaded. I have sorted the dreadful screen ( I will post the solution under accessories shortly) and tolerate the rather harsh suspension. But other than that would change nothing!
I hope Honda will try again with an update, because even as it is I would buy another!
Robin Reliant.
robin

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 04:09:58 PM
*Originally Posted by andyrob [+]
This.

Never used to get mentioned.

Thank god for owners forums where you can dive into the real nitty-gritty of ownership and folks impressions of their previous steeds, to get a good idea of your needs and wants.

Been reading UKGSER since 2003, GS owners saying treat the shaft drive as a consumable! Folk going into business repairing them! Antenna rings leaving folk stranded, switch gear crapping, "beta testing" 1st year models, "extended warranties???," wobbly back wheels,  "The much more reliable 1150's" ...my mates jumped out of gear when two-up and loaded and the paint fell off the shaft arm, not even into five figure mileage.

I dont care how much BHP is claimed its got our how dynamic it is when its back out the shop.To risky for me and my wallet.I simply was not going to take that risk. I and my pillion want to get where we are going ...and back, above all else.

Here Honda, take my money for your "bland, tech-lite" V4 DCT.  :020:

:464:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 04:11:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Jfro5867 [+]
On YouTube there's a blogger called TMF, 'The Missenden Flyer'. You may know of him.

He’s a walking, talking advert for the GS and boy oh boy is he so “magnolia” and about as entertaining as the test card.  :008:
Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:15:45 PM by Dave56
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: nc750X DCT
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 06:25:13 PM
The fundamentals are needing updating on the CT.
As a potential buyer why should I pay £14K for a new DCT -when I can get one "2 services old" kept in a warm garage with some expensive extras added for maybe 6 grand less?
Even the colours are the same -yet the NC range introduced a lovely blue which everyone loved!
To my mind ,as a long distance tourer ( Slovakia last, but all the Baltic,Turkey and Morocco over the years) why no built in GPS? Cars have had them for years also the options should include a blue tooth ear piece.
those 2 items would add a fleabite to the manufacturing cost - and a centre stand,hugger and proper length "mudguard".Why should we have to add these after buying ? also sensible height screens - would it take much to have those and an option on seats when you buy- not as extras!
given that a lot of riders go for a PCP deal the extra cost could maybe add a few quid a month -not hundreds on a total purchase price!
So get with it Honda -you peed all over the staid -past it- Brit bike makers in the 60's Maybe the Chinese will do the same to you if you don't buck up!

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 06:59:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Jfro5867 [+]
Hello all, had a manual CT a year or so ago and have recently decided to get a DCT one while they are still around. Might be my last bike, a keeper. So, have spent a lot of time over recent weeks reading up on the DCT. The CT seems to be very well thought of in Europe (by actual owners) but even journo testers in Europe liked it.

So why were the U.K. press so negative when they p themselves over the AT?

I test rode a 1000cc demo AT manual last summer, to see what all the fuss was about, what exactly was I missing out on? Verdict. Nice enough but a touch too tall for me TBH. Don't want chain drive either. I feel confident in my abilities but no way would I want to do much off-roading on it, far too big and lofty. How many AT's actually go off-road? Not many I am sure.

Which brings me back to the CT, is it simply because magazines have to find stuff to whinge about or something else? CT is a road biased tourer so if it's heavy big deal? We don't all want to do wheelie's or back bikes into corners jamming on the back brake! We don't all want a TFT dash or 6 axis this n that. It's like bike manufacturers have run out of things to do so just create gizmo's for things no one wants?  :020:

I watched a YouTube vlog on the new 1100AT, it has 27 buttons on the handlebars apparently all doing something? All the latest adventure bikes seem to be the same. Is PCP partly to blame because people just rent the bikes now so actual OTR price is irrelevant? I am buying my DCT with a loan. It's going to be mine.

I dunno. Need a lie down I think........

Easy answer Honda do not buy anywhere near the advertising space compared to BMW. I've seen reviews where a BMW model was the slowest, less well equipped, dearer, more costly to service, less reliability and had broken down during the road test and it was still recommended by the magazine as the best bike.

Online Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:47 PM
Yep. Case in point, the new R18.  So, it's very expensive, exclusive dare  I say it, extremely heavy 350kg, not especially powerful or torquey, has an uncomfortable seat, little suspension travel, corners well as long as you take bends like a granny, has no fuel gauge, feet catch the cylinders when you use the brake or gear lever, it does have lots of expensive extras available of course and sounds a bit....meh.    Yet pretty much all the reviews minimise this and they end up promoting the bike?

I know it's NOT all about performance but if you took that exact bike and stuck say, a Yamaha badge on it, it would be slammed as yet another wanna b fake HD cruiser and hammered for all the niggles.

arab-exile