Author Topic: No power to ignition  (Read 762 times)

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Appleton
No power to ignition
on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:06 PM
Hi there , got an electrical problem with one of my other bikes and just thought I'd see if there is a simple answer before I get an auto electrician in £££!
It's a 1995 CB1000 SF , I've checked the main 30A fuse and also swapped out the starter relay for a good one but still no power to the ignition and no lights on the dash, could it be something obvious or is it just gonna be a b@ll ache of a job trying to find a loose connection that an auto electrician will diagnose on minutes. All help appreciated, regards.

Online DE65Y

• Crosstourer Member
Re: No power to ignition
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:02:46 PM
If you can get at them, check out the connections on the back of the ignition switch.

It's a problem that a happens on the Blackbird.
Had to resolder my own.

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:43:31 PM
Hi Degsy, Would a faulty ignition switch lead to a total loss of supply to the dash, i.e. no instruments, lights, horn etc? Thanks

Online DE65Y

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:46:58 PM
Simple answer is yes.

Obviously all bikes are wired different.
Some circuits are kept permanently on, time clocks, alarms and some fans for example.
But the rest are only live when you turn the ignition on.
My BIRD is a 98 model so it wouldn't surprise me if it uses the same ignition. They are prone to corrosion
on the circuit board which can lead to the wires parting company.
Another possibility is dirty contacts in the ignition itself.
Try a squirt of ACF or if you don't have that a bit of WD (though that can gum up) or something similar.

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:04:46 AM
Hi Degsy and Thanks for that, will have a look over the weekend.

By ignition switch I assume you mean the key switch not the button on the handlebar... probably a bit of a pig to get to. Is the circuit board inside the switch unit and can you actually get to it?

Regards

Online DE65Y

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:05 PM
If it's never been off it may have tamper proof bolts, I was lucky as mine,  :027: for some reason had been off.
If you have a tester you can prove it first by checking if any power reaches the fusebox, when you operate the key.
Then by unplugging the ignition (key switch) and testing at the plug.
It would help if you have a wiring diagram (usually one in a Haynes manual)
If you don't have one I have one for the BIRD that I can pass over, as I wouldn't imagine them being that different on bikes of that age.

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 08:16:37 AM
Managed to remove the ignition barrel yesterday and then realised I could have got access to the contacts by removing the plastic cap on the bottom  :138:
Anyway, checked for continuity and all good. I then started to check each fuse for power in turn and found something a bit strange, although not really sure what it means, maybe a short in the ignition circuit??
With the key switch to ON, when I pulled the 10amp fuse for the ignition circuit (3rd from bottom in attached pics) the dash lit up and when I put the fuse back in the lights went out and no power anywhere, Would appreciate your thoughts!! Also if you can send me the Wiring diagram I'm sure it will will be really helpful going forward.

Regards

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 08:18:17 AM
Sorry didn't attach all pics..