Author Topic: Catastrophic suspension failure  (Read 8264 times)

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Re: Catastrophic suspension failure
Reply #32 on: August 15, 2020, 06:43:54 AM
Useful to know, agree with the sentiment of previous entries. it's a lesson in the value of general maintenance and as soon as you become aware something's not right you investigate properly. Parts do wear and moving parts do need lubrication. This set up is common to many many bikes. Especially as the bikes rack up miles. ST1100 swing arms used to rot out but unless you cleaned in there and kept on top of it you never knew. Snapping that dog bone cleanly like that must have taken some serious force. It hasn't got that bad overnight. Glad you are ok.

Offline matt28

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 CT manual
  • City / Town: South East
Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 03:51:18 PM
Stripped down rear shock assembly today. Outer bearing at doge bone was quite dry, 2 others were fairly good. Shock bottom needle bearing was completely dry, despite the fact that bike only 18 months old and has only 3500 covered. Used synthetic grease at all bearings and also put some of it at retaining bolts.
Well spotted, shearing it over here definitely saved loads stress and potential dangerous situations to the Forum members.     

Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT DCT
  • City / Town: Brussels
Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:33 PM
+1

Had my 60KKM red beauty in for tyre service today, asked them to check the rear triangle. All seized up, new set ordered, am in for replacement in a week time. He thinks salt and crap are to blame for this...

In the meantime, she will be a sleeping beauty in the garage :-o
CT1200X - CRF250L - CB50J

Offline mick9879

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Southampton
Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 08:19:55 PM
I did the 4 pivot points on my bike today(triangle), all were bone dry. The bike has done 11000 miles, 2017. If you have not checked it guys I would seriously think about doing it or getting it done. All nicely greased up now.

Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT DCT
  • City / Town: Brussels
Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:48 AM
Yes!
Finally picked up mine Friday after several delays, they had to heat one of the bolts to unseize it, then order add'l parts, quite a story (and a budget 🙄)
But the most shocking thing now is how smooth the suspension is.
Will now do it myself every year to avoid it happening again!

Thanks again for starting this thread
CT1200X - CRF250L - CB50J

Offline Lkhen

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 DCT
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2020, 07:58:17 PM
Does any one have any pictures/guides on how to check/grease these components or is it so obvious?
Would be good to share to hopefully enable others to inspect and lubricate these bits.
I’d certainly been to see how others have done it.

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: nc750X DCT
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2020, 08:51:56 PM
As a side issue I bought a brand new NC750 in 2014 and immediately set off on a tour around Eire.after 1500 miles both tyres were BALD.Yes all at right pressure and no i am not a knee scraper (hardly on a 54hp DCT!)
checking with forum it turns out the OE tyres were totally wrong for the bike so a new set of Pilot 4's were fitted-at Honda's expense.No drama but the dealer was really good and helped a lot (Colwyn Bay Honda ,North Wales)
hope your dealings with the Big H are as productive- worrying as a prospective CT buyer!

Offline DE65Y

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 10:21:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Lkhen [+]
Does any one have any pictures/guides on how to check/grease these components or is it so obvious?
Would be good to share to hopefully enable others to inspect and lubricate these bits.
I’d certainly been to see how others have done it.
I would say the only sure fire way of greasing it up is to strip it.
I had mine apart when I had a go at lowering the bike, one thing I did, that I think helped, was to use a ratchet strap
around the seat and through the wheel. This kept everything close to being aligned and took the weight of the wheel.

arab-exile