Author Topic: Excessive oil residue in air filter housing/some smoking after startup  (Read 1072 times)

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
Yes will keep yous in a loop. Will investigate until weekend

Offline oskar

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XH
  • City / Town: Oviedo
I think it may be an excessive level of oil. The oil level should be checked with the motorcycle on the wheels in a flat place and after starting the engine for 3 or 5 minutes, let it cool for 2 or 3 minutes and watch.

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
let him idle for 2 mins, than cool down for another 2 mins. When checked this way (according to the manual) let it cool down completely and check again.
Now you know what the level should be when cold.
Use the official way only after changing oil when the filter has to fill up and never just for checking.
A cold start is just as bad as riding a bike on operating temperature from Amsterdam to Paris. In other words, never do a cold start if you're not planning to go on a ride.

Offline Max2007

• Crosstourer Member
Me would not think is becouse of to much oil in the bike! Even if you have 1,2dl more than max it would not mater! It must come some how in some form of oil evaporation condensation from engine!

Offline Max2007

• Crosstourer Member
Just talked to my frien he is motorcycle mehanic!
He said, this is not a problem as i said it is oil evaporation from oil sump! Cleanit put a new filter and, do not worry!! 💪😃

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
Thanks for the input guys :031:
The two things that worries me about this situation are:
1- why engine didn't dump any oil in the air filter within the last 3 years since I own the bike
2- I always fill up to NEAR MAX LEVEL when changing oil and filter, never had to drain any or add any

As I mentioned I'll drain a bit more oil during the weekend to get the level close to the minimum and then see what happens.
If that doesn't help I'll ring the mechanics

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
*Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer [+]
Thanks for the input guys :031:
The two things that worries me about this situation are:
1- why engine didn't dump any oil in the air filter within the last 3 years since I own the bike
2- I always fill up to NEAR MAX LEVEL when changing oil and filter, never had to drain any or add any

As I mentioned I'll drain a bit more oil during the weekend to get the level close to the minimum and then see what happens.
If that doesn't help I'll ring the mechanics

.......and rightly so.   

'Oil evaporation' doesn't happen.  Oil mist (fine particles of oil) gets transferred to the airbox via the breather tube due to excessive blow-by where they accumulate over time to form visible pools of oil.

Offline Max2007

• Crosstourer Member
You write oil mist i did not know the words to use i englisch!!