Author Topic: Guhl Reflash Throttle Snatch & Engine Braking Improved?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Lisboa
Re: Guhl Reflash Throttle Snatch & Engine Braking Improved?
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 02:53:32 PM
Watch out with the removal of limitations. This is not a VFR 1200F. The suspensions, tires, ergonomics, etc, is completely different on the CT and it is not made for the power of the F. Removing those limitations will increase a lot the possibility to visit the tarmac..... :087:

Offline Cdnvfr

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200x
Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 03:41:42 PM
Just an update. I had reflash completed by Sabsteef Tuning in Netherlands. I have had the Bike out on a couple of runs since. The last was a 3 hour run which included town, highway and rough backroads. I can definitely say that the low end throttle snatch and engine braking have been nicely subdued. The bike is now very smooth and less nervous feeling then before. The bike feels much more like an ADV then a sports bike. Power is definitely still there but is more gentleman like in response. I kept all the safeties and most limitations in place. I asked for the smooth and I got that. Not sure if Guhl would be the same, but I would very much recommend Sabsteef. He is able to do it by mail in or he can do it remotely. I sent mine to him, but there are some gentlemen in Aussie that did it remotely with great results from what I read in their reviews.

I am glad I did the reflash as I was starting to shop around for another bike because of the throttle response. No way would I get another bike now. Loving the CT!

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Parafield Garden
Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:14 PM
Hi The sensitive throttle issue is a real pain. I put one of those Oxford hand throttle lever type things (just a plastic thing that wraps around the throttle grip) and it goes on the outside end of the grip and for me it made a huge difference. it allows you to rest your hand on the grip rather than wrapping your hand around the grip, you utilise  your palm/outside part of your hand so that when you hit a bump etc the throttle doesn't react as quickly or sensitivity. approx cost was about $10 Aussie dollars certainly worth giving a go.       
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Offline VFR1200XDH

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: N. California
Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 05:20:13 PM
A lighter grip on the throttle can make a huge difference. It seems every bike I get has a snatchy throttle and it isn't out of adjustment ot out of tune, sort of the way they are. If I put a lot of pressure on the throttle either by a tight grip or resting a lot of weight on my palms the throttle becomes subject to movement under every little bump. I built up my core strength so that I wasn't using my arms to hold me up, mostly my torso and got the bars to a slightly higher position to reduce the weight I put on them and everything became so much smoother to the point I don't need any throttle aids.

During any week I will ride three different bikes of three different styles and transition between them with no throttle control issues. That wasn't the case before dealing with a big part of the problem, not enough core strength to ride properly. Once I went to a light grip vs heavy even the worst throttle became easy to manage.

Prior to that I had gotten a little lazy and let my core strength slip. Fixing that made the rides so much more fun and I'm now 62 riding a much heavier beast than I thought I ever would at this point. The throttle is as clean and smooth as the cruise control in my truck.
To V or not to V is not the question.

Offline Banksy

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Torbay
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
I spoke to Hilltop about getting a reflash done. Mentioned the limits in 1st, 2nd and 6th and they said they 'Would Not' remove them as they are there to protect the gearbox from the torque in 1st and 2nd and the limiter in 6th is there to hold the top speed down so you don't die.. If you need more than 130mph you might want a sports bike not and adventure bike...

Online __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 06:42:55 PM
Sabsteef can do it all and my bike was the guinea pig for the flash for the CT but i didn't want the restrictions removed.
Here in the Netherlands we don't have to be afraid for lawsuit's if someone gets hurt for their own stupidity so he can remove them if you really want but trust me, you don't want that.
When i go fast i still don't use all the power i have and when i really want to push it the traction control gets activated and that is not because the tyres can't cope but because the front gets airborne.
My bike has the sabsteef flash witch it makes him much smoother and the power is more linear but still restricted.
If you want more power you want it for at the bar to go with a beer and not because you need it because if you really got the bike to the max when stock you'd know you don't need it.
Also more topspeed is not wanted because the geometry of the bike yust can't handle much more without getting dangerously unstable.
You can make it stable but that will cost some serious money on suspension, wheels and all the necessary adjustment to fit everything.

arab-exile