Author Topic: Guhl Reflash Throttle Snatch & Engine Braking Improved?  (Read 966 times)

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Re: Guhl Reflash Throttle Snatch & Engine Braking Improved?
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 07:44:56 PM
Checked it and i don't need less than what he gives at the moment the throttle gives a response.
I can imagine that when you have too much free play on the throttle cable but o always adjust it to just enough so there is no throttle by turning the handlebar from max left to max right because that's the only reason for the free play.
The less free play you have the smoother the response is, not enough and you can get in trouble in tight turns.

Offline Cdnvfr

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200x
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:37:10 PM
So are you saying that the flash tames the throttle snatch down?

I know a remap won’t be a 100% cure  of the throttle snatch or engine fuel cut off when you roll off the throttle, but I am looking to reduce these effects / make the throttle scheduling smoother than it presently is.

I have removed all throttle free play and even have a cramp buster installed. This does help somewhat but it still becomes a jerky beast over the bumpy roadways. I can deal with it for the most part but when the pavement gets rough it takes up too much of your attention keeping the throttle from jumping up and down.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:49 PM
*Originally Posted by __Ray__ [+]
There is a guy here in the Netherlands that can do flashes, even remotely without you having to remove the ECU and ship it.
He did my 2012 CT and it runs much smoother. In every gear it now has al perfect linear feel and i didn't put it on a dyno but it does feel more powerfull also. I don't really care about the numbers, for me the smoothness was the only reason.
My bike was the first CT he did.
You can reach him here https://www.facebook.com/sabsteef or by mail Sabsteef@hotmail.com.
He already had a lot of bikes done with good results, even overseas with remote access.

Before buying my second CT I owned a ZZR1400 and had it remapped in Bristol including several runs on the dyno. Talking to the guy that did the remap it was his opinion that generic remaps were ok but in his opinion a generic remap is based on the baseline data from the factory. He went on to explain that no two bikes are ever the same even when new and that there are allowances made for the systems on the bike. He contends that a remap written for the individual bike will always be better than a generic one. I've never had a generic remap so I am not in a position to comment on which is best rather this is something else to consider.

Offline Cdnvfr

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 10:23:49 PM
Agreed bampy , every bike has its own quirks and a customized dyno run remap would be the best option. The closest dyno, from me, is in the US and with our new way of life due to COVID I will have to take the next best thing and go forth with a generic map based on the Honda set up. I feel this is the best option for my bike at the moment.

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 11:09:46 PM
A bit of my ride today. Left the beginning without music for the engine sound for you to listen to the reactin in second gear when cornering.

Offline Cdnvfr

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:49 PM
That Looks like a great ride. Your roads are in very good shape.  :062:

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 04:19:00 PM
Discussed in the other posts.......but.........reflash might work if the issue was lean mixture.   If it was lean issue it would be more a problem of constant speed surge.

The throttle itself is open a very small amount and these 1-2-3rd gear trail speeds or rough terrain.  Mark the throttle grip with tape and reference marks.  The grip rotational movement is actually very small.   That’s where the throttle tamer product* is changing the mechanical ratio of the grip movement to throttle movement.

If the issue is the “movement ratio” of the throttle grip to the throttle plate movement plus the “throttle by wire” activation and sensitivity.........then reflash might make no change.

Not mention the tension, free play or return spring rate of the throttle system that 100% mechanical. The effort to move the throttle is very low. That’s  where the added tension and friction to the throttle grip is reported as a good fix.

* throttle tamer is changing the throttle tube witha different that  has cable cam profile.
Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:22:20 PM by Showkey

Offline Cdnvfr

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 09:06:45 PM
Can the throttle tamer be installed on a CT with OEM heated grips?