Author Topic: 120/70-R19 front tire?  (Read 2832 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#24

Offline Younger06

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 03:52:09 PM
My dealer has given me a price on the 120 & 160 Dunlop Roadsmart III.......they are working out around €50 dearer than getting the standard size.
I wonder is it worth trying, will it affect handling for better or for worse ??
"Howya horsebox"

#25

Offline DEMBONES

  • Crosstourer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 601
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
  • Country: USA
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 04:15:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Younger06 [+]
My dealer has given me a price on the 120 & 160 Dunlop Roadsmart III.......they are working out around €50 dearer than getting the standard size.
I wonder is it worth trying, will it affect handling for better or for worse ??

I think we have confirmed here via hook and crook that both sizes work on the bike and some have switched to those sizes permanently.  Most say they went up to "increase load capacity."  Whether they do that w/o any compromise is still a question mark in my mind.  I know for a fact that the speedometer and odometer will be affected but I can't speak to the ride quality.  My honest opinion is that handling (on the street at least) would likely be mildly worse overall.

A wide rear tire means more tread on the road, making the motorcycle want to push through turns instead of go around them. This can lead to an understeer condition.

Wider front tires will have the opposite effect of a wide rear, and can make the bike more responsive in the corners (oversteer). This could lead to a twitchy ride.   

#26

Offline Younger06

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 07:40:04 PM
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
I think we have confirmed here via hook and crook that both sizes work on the bike and some have switched to those sizes permanently.  Most say they went up to "increase load capacity."  Whether they do that w/o any compromise is still a question mark in my mind.  I know for a fact that the speedometer and odometer will be affected but I can't speak to the ride quality.  My honest opinion is that handling (on the street at least) would likely be mildly worse overall.

A wide rear tire means more tread on the road, making the motorcycle want to push through turns instead of go around them. This can lead to an understeer condition.

Wider front tires will have the opposite effect of a wide rear, and can make the bike more responsive in the corners (oversteer). This could lead to a twitchy ride.   

Cheers for the reply.
Do we know which wheel the speedo/odo takes it's info from ??
"Howya horsebox"

#27

Offline zphenyl

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Country: USA
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 02:40:10 AM
Received my Dunlop Trailsmarts today and they look great. Date codes of early 2017. Won't get a chance to mount them until probably sometime next year. 

Anyone plan on mounting them sooner?

#28

Offline DEMBONES

  • Crosstourer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 601
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
  • Country: USA
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 05:50:35 PM
*Originally Posted by zphenyl [+]
Received my Dunlop Trailsmarts today and they look great. Date codes of early 2017. Won't get a chance to mount them until probably sometime next year. 

Anyone plan on mounting them sooner?

Got mine as well.  Mine have date codes mid-2018.  Guess I got lucky although I wouldn't worry about 2017 either.  These won't get mounted for awhile.  Have a set to go on before these.

#29

Offline zphenyl

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Country: USA
Re: 120/70-R19 front tire?
Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 12:52:21 PM
I installed a front Trailsmart (110/80-19) and initial impressions after ~100 miles is the following:

- Very smooth tire
- Quicker turn in than Metzler Tourance  Next

Here's a little history:

I installed a front Metzler Tourance Next tire back in July and that tire never felt right.  This tire produced a lot of vibration through the bars like it was out of round (tire was properly balanced) especially when doing highway speeds of 70 - 80 mph.  So tire was pulled at ~ 1500 miles (should have replaced it sooner).  Now just have to wait for the Tourance Next rear tire to wear out (currently has ~3200 mi).   

 



arab-exile