Author Topic: The importance of torque values  (Read 512 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CT_Ron

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Work to live, not live to work
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
  • Country: The Netherlands
The importance of torque values
on: March 13, 2020, 01:59:26 PM
Soooooooo, I changed the final drive oil just now and when I unscrewed the fill cap, I thought it was way to loose. So after fill up, I tightened it a teensy weeny bit more and SNAP!!!!

I beheaded the cap but was able to unscrew the lifeless thread still stuck inside thank god!. I̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶q̶u̶e̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶ I saw that the torque value was only 8nm, which I find odd for such a large bolt and fairly important function, but oh well...

Damage costs: €32,18 for a freaking bolt excl. O ring... I can pick it up tommorow if the order is processed today, so fingers crossed.

Can anyone recommend an affordable and reliable brand of torque wrenches? I never looked into these things but no way I'm doing this in the near future without one... Most of the ones I saw at any hardware store are well over 60,- which I find ridiculously expensive for a once a year usage.

#1

Offline biker1300

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 156
  • roll on spring
  • Bike: dct highlander
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:35:05 PM
if you change your engine oil yourself you could use the torque wrench    it would be cheaper than a stripped drain plug       also the diff plugs are made of cheese

#2

Offline wack

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • It's not a hobby, it's in yer blood !
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
  • Country: UK
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 03:40:02 PM
Hello CT_Ron,

I did a little research on this one last year, and read quite a few reviews. You can spend ridiculous amounts on torque wrenches of varying types and sizes etc.

I found that the Halford's brand are quite good and generally, well reviewed - still not cheap though !

I ended up with the 12 - 100Nm 3/8" drive option at £85 (convinced the other half to get it as a Birthday/Christmas present  :152:) !!!

Bye for now.

Wack


#3

Offline hoppicker

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Bike: BMW K1 R80GS
  • City / Town: STAPLEHURST
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
I did exactly the same thing Ron, the day before a 10 day tour. Luckily I found a bolt in the workshop with the same thread. After a bit of welding and machining I ended up with a replacement that will never break. I now use a torque wrench on it every time as I don't want to strip the thread in the final drive. I bought a new cap and O ring, which should be made of gold for the price charged, it's still in the packet. I wonder if it's designed so weakly to protect the thread in the final drive, a bit like a shear bolt used in other applications.
VF1200X  XRV750 AFRICA TWIN
BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
BMW R80GS BMW R75/6

#4

Offline CT_Ron

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Work to live, not live to work
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
  • Country: The Netherlands
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:51:25 AM
*Originally Posted by hoppicker [+]
I did exactly the same thing Ron, the day before a 10 day tour. Luckily I found a bolt in the workshop with the same thread. After a bit of welding and machining I ended up with a replacement that will never break. I now use a torque wrench on it every time as I don't want to strip the thread in the final drive. I bought a new cap and O ring, which should be made of gold for the price charged, it's still in the packet. I wonder if it's designed so weakly to protect the thread in the final drive, a bit like a shear bolt used in other applications.

I'm very curious, do you have a picture of it?

I too think it is designed to break easily. It broke like breaking a kitkat candy bar, it went so easy... And the thread left inside, I was able to unscrew using my finger and I had no damage to the thread inside, as if it was designed to do so like a fail safe. I can not explain in words how tense I felt yesterday screwing in the new bolt, which indeed is made of 24k gold... But I'm glad I had a new one within 24hr.

A life lesson learned: Read the manual.
Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:03:56 AM by CT_Ron

#5

Offline CT_Ron

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Work to live, not live to work
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
  • Country: The Netherlands
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 09:58:08 AM
*Originally Posted by wack [+]
Hello CT_Ron,

I did a little research on this one last year, and read quite a few reviews. You can spend ridiculous amounts on torque wrenches of varying types and sizes etc.

I found that the Halford's brand are quite good and generally, well reviewed - still not cheap though !

I ended up with the 12 - 100Nm 3/8" drive option at £85 (convinced the other half to get it as a Birthday/Christmas present  :152:) !!!

Bye for now.

Wack

Thanks Wack! I'm still very suspicious towards these wrenches. I read a lot of people complaining that the values have too much deviation. The cheaper, the worse. I need them for precision values like those oil drain screws but also my rear wheel bolts which are over 100nm. I dont want to spend €120,- but I know I might destroy a thread or bolt something down too loose with a cheaper one..

My birthday is in december but my wedding in July, so... tools it is ^_^.

#6

Offline Viffer18

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 111
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
  • City / Town: Nr Colchester
  • Country: England
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 06:27:41 PM
Aldi did a cheap torque wrench. I'm not saying it's super accurate but not let me down yet.

Tend to set under rather than over just in case

I don't do enough mechanics to pay big money or have one regularly calibrated.

#7

Offline Viffer18

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 111
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
  • City / Town: Nr Colchester
  • Country: England
Re: The importance of torque values
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 06:33:37 PM
*Originally Posted by CT_Ron [+]


I too think it is designed to break easily. It broke like breaking a kitkat candy bar, it went so easy...

 I was able to unscrew using my finger and I had no damage to the thread inside, as if it was designed to do so like a fail safe.



Faulty drain plug from manufacturer??

or have Honda learned most stealerships let the YTS yoof do oil changes and the subsequent carnage that involves