Author Topic: Motobatt  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Holywell
Re: Motobatt
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 01:33:22 PM
The CT can be reluctant to turn over at times with the standard battery so, as an earlier poster said, i would advise strongly about dropping the CCA (cold cranking amps) - put crudely the power available from the battery to turn over your engine when cold.
Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 09:44:36 PM
the specs for this BS(unfortunate choice of letters!) battery match the OEM battery. I can't find any reviews for them though. I've never heard of them. Coming in at €75 delivered.

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/bs-btz14s-ytz14s-sla-battery-3891-p.asp
https://bs-battery.com/btz14s-sla/

OEM is €122 in Halfords.

My current Yuasa battery lasted 2 years. My bike sits outside with no battery tender option. So my situation is admittedly tough on batteries.

Might take a punt on the BS one.

Offline maccduff

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: ct
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 07:07:18 AM
My bike sits outside with no battery tender option. So my situation is admittedly tough on batteries.

when i had my motorcycle garage away from my home with no electric supply , i used to connect a loose car battery to my bike battery  via jump leads, this would keep the bike battery charged while it sat for days or weeks, i used the cheapest car battery i could buy, then every month or so charge the car battery up in the house.
Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:08:35 AM by maccduff
macca

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 10:18:25 AM
Hi,
It can safely be said- the Motobatt MBTX9U is not an equiv spec to the Yuasa OEM in the CT, it is down on both CCA and AH.
Europower.ie in Glasnevin have a Unibat CTZ14S lead acid listed for around €62 that fits the spec and physical size ( if you want the cheaper route)
You get what you pay for with batteries, stick to top brands like Yuasa ( about €135 in Ireland), bosch etc, I always was let down with a cheap battery in the past, and another observation with cheap lead acid batteries is -if it is connected to a tender long term it tends to boil the acid away and needs more topping up than the quality brands

Tom
Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:37:26 AM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 02:46:44 PM
 I found the OEM for €93 delivered here:https://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/34415_YTZ-14S-Yuasa-Battery-YTZ14S.htm
So I might go with that. The site seems legit.

Interestingly they have a compatible lithium battery for €89 delivered. https://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/50737_ULT2-Unibat-Lithium-eXtra-BMS-Battery-ULT2.htm

But it warns against use with anti-theft devices as they quickly discharge the LI battery. Pity, I was tempted there for a while, but the CT has HISS and I use an alarm too.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 11:51:51 PM
The Unibat ULT2 Lithium battery has a 5AH rating which is half of the CT needs. It also needs a special charger so the Optimate is useless.
Its BMS system on the battery cuts out supply at low voltage (10volts) so even a bump start with a low battery would not work as the fuel injection, CPU etc would be shut down. Its BMS system also cuts out at 14.7 volts high voltage and wont reset until the regulator cools down on the bike....... One has enough problems in life to burden oneself with more problems like these. Yippee for lead acid

Tom
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Younger06

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 12:13:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Mcgrath [+]
I found the OEM for €93 delivered here:https://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/34415_YTZ-14S-Yuasa-Battery-YTZ14S.htm
So I might go with that. The site seems legit.

Interestingly they have a compatible lithium battery for €89 delivered. https://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/50737_ULT2-Unibat-Lithium-eXtra-BMS-Battery-ULT2.htm

But it warns against use with anti-theft devices as they quickly discharge the LI battery. Pity, I was tempted there for a while, but the CT has HISS and I use an alarm too.

Carpimoto are legit, I just bought the Givi luggage plate for under 100 euros delivered (I was quoted between 150 and 200 from various Dublin Givi stockists)
"Howya horsebox"

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 07:18:38 PM
*Originally Posted by maccduff [+]
i used to connect a loose car battery to my bike battery  via jump leads, this would keep the bike battery charged while it sat for days or weeks, i used the cheapest car battery i could buy, then every month or so charge the car battery up in the house.
Thats a really good idea. Unfortunately I don't trust the local teenagers to leave it alone. I'd love an option that I could fit under the seat to charge it up. I looked online but never found anything. I wonder if some of the small lithium jumpstarters would work.

arab-exile