Author Topic: Grease, or lack of... 😉  (Read 7047 times)

Offline maccduff

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
Re: Grease, or lack of... 😉
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 02:51:20 PM
top tip, never push the bike off the center stand when the exhaust is removed, :028:

as it will slice the rear abs cable in two  :827:
and new one is £240.00 pound plus vat  :005: :138: :789:
macca

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 04:56:49 PM
*Originally Posted by maccduff [+]
top tip, never push the bike off the center stand when the exhaust is removed, :028:

as it will slice the rear abs cable in two  :827:
and new one is £240.00 pound plus vat  :005: :138: :789:

Photo of the damaged area?

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 08:08:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]
I have done this on several bikes and it is pretty straight forward.  Through each linkage are a couple of bolts and nuts.  The biggest hassle is to loosen them and to get the weight off the rear wheel to slide off the bolts easily.  Once off... then you just get yourself busy cleaning and then re-lubing the bearings.

My bike just hit 10k miles and this is on my list for a winter project for the VFRX. 

I do use high dollar, marine grease that is water resistant, which can be picked up at just about any auto parts store.

Why does a VFR be a "project" after 10k miles? Mine past the 80k km last week and has enough with normal maintenance.
And even the most expensive water resistant grease is no match against a pressure washer.

Offline Lkhen

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 DCT
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 10:21:33 PM
For what is worth I’m no mechanic but having got my CT last week and as it was p$$$ing it down all weekend I decided to give it a go and strip the lower rear suspension.  I watched the video posted earlier in this thread which was very helpful.

Here are my main take always from doing this job.
1-remove the back wheel.  Makes life much easier.

2-Mark the triangle plates when you to take off to avoid faffing about which way up they go when putting back.

3- don’t bother taking seals and pressing the bearings out if you don’t need to.  If they’re turning ok I say leave them alone.  Give it a good clean and pack with grease. I removed the seals and pressed the bearings out to see what they looked like, wish I hadn’t bloody bothered!

I did take some photos but to be honest the video earlier is spot on for guidance on this job. 

Cheers

Offline DE65Y

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 07:48:46 AM
If you have a ratchet strap and use it through the wheel and over the seat it will take the weight of the wheel
and the drive shaft. It also helps to keep things in line making this job no more than an hour, if everything goes right.

arab-exile