Author Topic: Am i overthinking re a new CT  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: Am i overthinking re a new CT
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:05:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Leyth centurian [+]
Was thinking I might put some better suspension on it, then thought for what this would cost and a little more I could get a new bike.

....but then you’d just want to upgrade the suspension on the new bike  :789:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Leyth centurian

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Leigh Lanc's
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:33:53 AM
*Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
....but then you’d just want to upgrade the suspension on the new bike  :789:

These are the conundrums I have of new v old Dave 56, I suppose a new bikes suspension and other parts are 15k miles fresher so probably wont need attention for 2 years or so. I know from experience the difference new suspension makes as at 13 k miles and due to the original suspension feeling like it was starting to fade even with adjustments regularly dialled in I had Maxton front and back fitted to my previous VFR12, the difference was night and day. What I'm saying is that I feel the A  new bikes original shocks have no issues for the first 12 k miles or so but then feels like its starting to lose performance, so in effect a new bike would have 2 years free biking where as the current bike will need associated maintenance cost, if I went down the valve check route on top of the suspension upgrade and other bits and bobs there wouldn't be much change out of £2.5 k which then makes new sound feasible until I think of new bike depreciation, im at a point where if I buy new it will need to be a long term keeper of which im not sure about as i like to change every couple of years in order to avoid above mentioned costs over new depreciation losses. I guess I'm in a win, win situation as either way i have a CT and am in no hurry to decide  :001:

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 01:48:14 PM
Yes, I can see your dilemma, especially if your perhaps thinking of changing after a couple of years.
To hell with it, we’re only here the once and if you can afford it, buy a brand spanker in the colour of your choice.  :047:

Offline Leyth centurian

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Leigh Lanc's
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 05:27:50 PM
Deal done, a pre reg is imminent  :001:

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 09:07:30 PM
Congrats on your purchase :047: :046: :152: details, we need details  :001:, manual or DCT, colour, highlander etc etc.  :028:
Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:08:15 PM by Dave56

Offline SleppRock

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 01:04:16 PM
I am picking up my “new” 2017 manual CT/1200X today! Buying it for 10,200. USD.  Paid for the extended warranty so I’m covered for 5 years.  I am 55 yrs old and I have owned 5 dirt bikes and three street bikes.  This  is my first new bike and I’m excited to start this journey.  I wanted the build quality and reliability of a Honda.  I know this doesn’t answer your question but in the end it is personal choice.  I’m happy with mine and I’m looking forward to leaning on this forum for advice on suspension, parts, and ideas. 

Offline Hatch-

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 05:43:01 PM
I got my dct 2016 new last year for 11k, I had to put about 3k into it to get it up to my own standards, but it was worth it IMO. The problem is if you want a shaft drive adv with affordable maintenance (ie non european bike) it's down to this and the tenere I believe? I didnt dig the tenere styling so here I am. No regrets on my part, but I certainly wouldnt trade out for a new one unless there is some feature you're missing (and I dont think there is one) these bikes will last ages IMO. It's actually difficult to mile out good bikes for most riders.

Offline Max2007

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:36 PM
I got my 2017,manual, new last october in germany, and upgrade it to my on taste!
All my friends ride gs1200/1250 and alredy complain about problems and bad Bmw service!!
Every day i jump on my Crosstourer, start engine, lisening V4, put smile on my face and hier we go!!
Welcome to V4 club! 💪

arab-exile