Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Anakee 3 Squaring  (Read 834 times)

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Re: Michelin Anakee 3 Squaring
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
Keep on with the updates.  I have the Anakee III sitting in the attic waiting to go on.  This has been a messed up year for riding for me.  I should have needed tire 4 months ago....
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
Will do Doc. 

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »
So there is no comparison between the Anakee and the Roadsmart III from a construction perspective.  The Roadsmart is a stiff carcass tire, while the Anakee is softer by about 20-30%.  I am glad that I changed out the Anakee.  I am not sure if it is anything to worry about but the manufacturing mold line runs around the circumference of the tire on the Anakee.  It was clearly visible and wider and narrower in spots, just shy of separating is what I would say.  I only got the rear installed tonight and will finish up on Sunday with the front.  Also, only .5 oz to balance the tire whereas the Anakee had a full 2.oz.  A short slow ride in the rain makes me believe it will be a good tire...time will tell on longevity as it gets mixed reviews.   

Does anyone know if that visible mold line is normal and/or acceptable?  I've never seen that before. 

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 01:55:54 AM »
The “mould” line is completely normal. Every set of Michelin tyres I’ve had have it. Have Pilot Road 2s ( brilliant tyre) on my XJR and its there too.
Interesting that you say the Road Smarts are stiffer. Never used the Dunlop’s myself but always thought that the Anakees were at the harder end of the spectrum.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
The “mould” line is completely normal. Every set of Michelin tyres I’ve had have it. Have Pilot Road 2s ( brilliant tyre) on my XJR and its there too.
Interesting that you say the Road Smarts are stiffer. Never used the Dunlop’s myself but always thought that the Anakees were at the harder end of the spectrum.

Thanks for letting me know about the mold line.  Apples and oranges on the stiffness.  It went right on the rim for the first side but it was an effort working the bead on the second side.  But I prefer a stiff tire.  This is my third set of Roadsmarts but first on this bike.  Its a spectacular tire on bikes around 500 pounds (hard-pressed to find a bad review in that category).  I hope the same is true for the VFR. 

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
Replaced Anakees with Roadsmart IIIs
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »
Front and rear are both installed.  Holy crap, are these tires stiff.  It took forever to get the front tire on.  Actually, it was so stiff I would say it was the most difficult tire install I have ever performed.   I would recommend having at least the front put on by a pro with a machine to run a bead on.    I think that I've created a few new swear words after this endeavor.  The rear was easy peasy.  I went out to scrape them in.  All dry roads.  Speed was between 50 and 80 MPH.  Straight roads and curvy roads.  The tires handle very well.  Nothing negative at all.  But, it's also pretty rare that somebody complains about new tires too.  Time will tell I guess.   It is absolutely, unquestionably,  a touring tire.  Much easier to turn the bike with less input to achieve the desired results.    Though, I may be comparing it against the squared-off Anakee which would give me some bias.    However, I do feel that I need to soften up the suspension on the shock and springs ( both Hyperpro). There was a return of some of the harshness that I complained about before I upgraded the suspension.   I suppose it has to do with the stiffer walls.  Anyhow, it gives me a reason to ride and fiddle!  Super easy adjustments on the hyper pro shock. 

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Riding since 1968
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
Let us know how you like them, I am shopping for tires before my summer season. Did you balance them? I noticed on mine there are no wheel or spoke weights from the factory, I haven't had spoked wheels in decades but I would think they still need balancing.
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
Let us know how you like them, I am shopping for tires before my summer season. Did you balance them? I noticed on mine there are no wheel or spoke weights from the factory, I haven't had spoked wheels in decades but I would think they still need balancing.

I did balance them.  I have a Motion Pro balancing stand.  The front required zero weight.  Checked, re-checked, and ride tested.  It is perfectly balanced.  Rear only required 1/2 ounce and I used adhesive weights affixed on both sides of the channel.  I am not a tire expert, but from what I have read or seen on youtube, the less weight to achieve balance is an indication of production quality.  I don't know if it is true or not.  Again, I've never been disappointed with new tires, ever.  They always feel great. That said, I am really pleased.  I am not sure if you still need to scrub in tires but I am doing it anyhow.  So I took it back out yesterday for a short mixed speed run.  I am very happy with the tire.  In my opinion, it handles curves better than the Anakees ever did.  Braking-- unquestionably shorter stopping distances.  Maybe because of the increased silica?  Entirely guessing.  It is definitely a touring tire.   Very easy to turn on short and wide curves.  Super quiet.  I've had these tires now on three bikes and I do really like them.  Dave, you probably have seen the mixed reviews on the Facebook forum; not on the handling or ride characteristics but on the wear.  Some are getting 12K others 4-5.  The majority are experiencing longer tread life.  Time will tell. 

I did adjust the suspension yesterday; increased damping up front while maintaining the same preload.  On the rear, I reduced rebound compression damping and high and low-speed damping aby about 20%.  That really improved the ride on these tires.  I am still learning about suspension and had no idea that tires could impact suspension settings.  But the changes were noticeable...not perfect but I'll dial it in. 

As an aside, the manual specifies adhesive weights for both rims.  I have no idea if there would be consequences from the installation of spoke weights. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:35:12 PM by mzflorida »

arab-exile