Author Topic: Hyperpro front fork upgrade  (Read 13331 times)

Online Max2007

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Hyperpro front fork upgrade
Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 08:11:11 AM
Oem is 138mm from the top of fork tube, and for hyperpro is 125mm!!
Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:14:57 AM by Max2007

Online Max2007

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:07 AM
*Originally Posted by socalnative [+]
I changed my fork springs this past weekend and you definitely will need a spring compressor. Or you need to be really heavy or strong or both and have a friend help.
I only got a short test ride in mostly because we had the winds from hell on Saturday but I could immediately fell it is better.
The problem is now the rear shock really feels terrible.
I'm cheap so I'd like to try a stiffer spring and hope the dampening will be good with a better suited spring.
But I'm having a problem locating a vendor that sells a stiffer shock spring.
I'm in the USA but I'll take one from anywhere.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

p.s. I put in about 450cc's in each fork leg which left the oil at about 114mm-116mm from the top of the inner fork tube.

My sugestion is to save money and buy better shock!

Offline socalnative

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: San Bernardino
Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 05:59:22 PM
I'd love to buy a better shock with the correct spring but I'm not in love enough to spend $650-1000 and then hope it's fantastic. I was hesitant buying the fork springs but I've had good luck in the past with other bikes and just changing to a better spring rate and messing with the oil and settings.
I only have any 19k miles and so I was debating changing the fork oil. But I decided to. I saw the manual setting. But I had measured the level before and it was about 120mm. I know the original owner and he did not mess with the fork oil. And I measured the oil I removed. I didn't take the whole assembly apart but I spent a good amount of time trying to get as much of the oil out as I could and I let them drain for over 45 minutes. Both had about 450cc's. And I know I lost some when I pulled out the springs. The manual also says the capacity is 540cc. So I felt better after filling them with 450-455cc's. The new springs are about 5.19mm-5.20mm wire. The old ones are only a little thinner at about 5.17mm thick. But the new springs have three less windings. So I'd guess the volume isn't a significant difference. I'll probably ride it this way for awhile and let it settle. Hopefully find a stiffer rear spring. And then try different weight oil and amounts.
Thanks for the info!

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 06:26:26 PM
I found the hyperpro spring helped immensely on the shock as well.  not perfect but reasonable cost.  I talked to (drawing a blank on the name) but he said that it would be a good improvement till the stock shock was worn out.  Seems like a reasonable value and improvement.
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:27:09 PM by Plane Dr
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline socalnative

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 01:19:45 AM
*Originally Posted by Plane Dr [+]
I found the hyperpro spring helped immensely on the shock as well.  not perfect but reasonable cost.  I talked to (drawing a blank on the name) but he said that it would be a good improvement till the stock shock was worn out.  Seems like a reasonable value and improvement.

Good advice!
I just need to not bottom or feel like it's bottoming and if it can make at least 50% of the difference the front springs did I'll be okay with the cost.

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
I thought it was good value for the money.  I would have preferred to replace it, but reasonably on a "new" bike I need to budget.  Plus I'm not sure I will ever get the equivalent to the Ohlins I had on the GS.  So I am happy with "better".
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline socalnative

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 01:14:38 AM
I received a Hyperpro rear spring and installed it. It wasn't harder than I thought to do but it took a little longer than I thought it would. It's pretty straight forward to remove the shock assembly. Nothing tricky and no special tools necessary.

Changing the spring is the hard part. Don't believe anyone that says they did it without a spring compressor. I'm not saying you couldn't do it without one I'm saying you shouldn't try to do it without one. And look for a decently built one. The one I used I've used before the the Hyperpro VFR spring was probably the stiffest spring I've done this way. If I do it again I'm going to look for a different compressor.

So it makes a decent and noticeable improvement. I also have Wilbers progressive fork springs which I wrote about earlier. The rear is both stiffer and more plush. Also the harshness has been reduced to very minor. Don't get me wrong it's still a very taunt riding motorcycle but now it's not overly stiff and unyielding. It actually feels like the tires are staying in contact with the road surface. The city I live in has terrible streets, imo. And it's a good opportunity to "test" suspension changes.

For the cost changing the fork springs and rear shock spring are a worthwhile improvement. I'm not saying it's better than custom cartridge forks and shock/spring setup but if you are on the fence you will feel the improvement. If you can't feel the difference then you probably wouldn't feel any difference in a custom setup.

For reference I'm about 197 lbs or 89.5 kg without riding equipment.

The stock spring was about 12.96mm wire, 7.188" long and has about 6 coils. The Hyperpro spring has 13.64mm wire, 7.375" long and about 7.75 coils. Sorry for both metric and inch measurements. :)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2021, 05:49:47 PM
I think this insistence on using a spring compressor is on a par with those who demand the use of a torque wrench when tightening any sort of nut/bolt.

Sorry but spanners are different lengths  for a reason and a couple of ratchet straps positioned diametrically opposite will compress a shock spring when looped over about 6 coils of said spring on each side

Maybe i am just an old fool but it works for me  :190:

arab-exile