Author Topic: Hyperpro front fork upgrade  (Read 10942 times)

Offline Gatodumas

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer X
  • City / Town: Los Ángeles
Re: Hyperpro front fork upgrade
Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 01:33:45 AM
*Originally Posted by CT_Ron [+]
I have a rear HyperPro spring fitted. I was planning on buying mzflorida's fairly unused OEM rear shock, rebuild it to my weight, but my local suspension technician told me he couldn't rebuild the crossies OEM shock for some reason.

The rear shock has better cornering and weight distribution with a HP spring installed (use HyperPro purple for +5 hp) but the heavy all in one swingarm remains stiff and will not become more comfortable, just has better performance. For the front, if you experience bad rebounds and stiff compression: I started a new job and got my hands on some super calibrated torque wrenches. I noticed I use too much excessive force when securing a nut/bolt. I instantly realized why my forks don't do what they are supposed to do. Front fork clamp bolts need to be torqued to only 27nm, I had them hamered down to 48~50 and one even on 57nm :789: I probably did the same with my Africa Twin, destroying the forks in the process. Last year, I snapped the crossies driveshaft drain bolt pretty much instantly. It's max torque value is just 8nm lol! I went to Norway this summer with the wife and 50kg of luggage. No wonder my fork seals blew out.

The past week has been absolute bliss for me. The front has such a comfortable up and down stroke now, with new fresh 15w oil and newly installed greased up fork seals and OEM front springs. ...and proper fork clamp/brake calliper/brakepad/steering/wheel  clamp torque values  :164:

and all for a badly calibrated tool?  amazing

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 04:19:34 AM
I did the HyperPro front and back.  Pics below are of the back.  They made a HUGE, HUGE positive difference..... especially for us 2-up riding, with loaded paniers.

Offline Gatodumas

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 12:37:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]
I did the HyperPro front and back.  Pics below are of the back.  They made a HUGE, HUGE positive difference..... especially for us 2-up riding, with loaded paniers.

I imagine.  when I made the change, the suspension worked again and my arms stopped working. :047:

Offline matt28

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 CT manual
  • City / Town: South East
Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:17 PM
Just bought set of Hyperpro front progressive springs. Expecting delivery withing next couple of days. Looking forward to see the difference.

Offline Gatodumas

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 10:17:06 PM
*Originally Posted by matt28 [+]
Just bought set of Hyperpro front progressive springs. Expecting delivery withing next couple of days. Looking forward to see the difference.
you will notice it.  In my case, the originals were already failing, it was a tremendous positive change.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Reply #37 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:20 AM
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]

Good to see you back John. 

Mike

Offline matt28

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 CT manual
  • City / Town: South East
Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 04:22:08 PM
I'm planning change front springs for Hyperpro next week. Have spring compression tool, but need damper rod tool as well. What size I suppose to buy: 13.3 - 14.3mm or smaller one.
Thanks

Offline Gav

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200X, CBR929
  • City / Town: Brightlingsea
Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 11:25:35 AM
Hi all,

I have just purchased the front springs and a rear shock from hyperpro, then another bottle of oil as I'm sure 1ltr will not be enough.

When dismantling, what tools were used. The is the 'H' and something that looks like a die holder. Are these required, or have people improvised? If so, what with.

Does someone have the width of the slot in the H. I'm sure that will be easy enough to create.

Many thanks.

arab-exile