Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dead battery  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bikers rebalance the force
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Appleton
Re: Dead battery
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
The battery is only 2 months old but the bike does sometimes get left standing for a couple of weeks due to other time demands. I checked it again this morning and it had dropped to 12.5V with the optimiser attached.
Think I’ve got the manual so I’ll check the rectifier out and see if that gives a problem, if I can’t find I’ll PM you to send the details across.

ps the only device I have connected is a Garmin day nav mount without the unit attached.

Regards
Ian

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
Sorry, should have said without the optimiser attached and Sat Nav mount, damn predictive text  :001:

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
Good luck and happy to help (or at least try)!

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
A draw even down in the milli amps adds up.  Off hand I'm not sure the size of the battery but if you assume a 14 amp hour battery it is dead in a little over a week at that rate.

I had a DRZ which the factory clock would kill a battery in about 10 days.  Trailtech installed problem solved.

When testing bear in mind the voltage will likely drop initially as rpm go up.  There is usually a point at which the voltage stabilizes usually 2500 ish rpm.

An aside to this is I had an 05 BMW with a factory alarm, which I never used, and it drew at about that rate.  It required being on a tender all the time and it still ate batteries.  Every day rides were fine, but if it sat for a week, yeah no.  Plus, like I say it ate batteries.  Sold it for the VFR......

You may want to look for dirt grunge build up around major terminals.  They will allow a milli amp current to actually bypass connections.  I had to thoroughly clean the area around and seal major connectors to get parasitic draw down.  Again learned from German Engineers....
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »
To Plane Dr's point, if you want to identify the draw, attach you volt-ohm meter and start pulling fuses to see if the draw decreases.  It could identify the where if it is a device such as Plane Dr's alarm.  Conversely, it could establish that a connection/corrosion issue exists (if the draw does not decrease significantly when pulling fuses).  Electrical in compact systems such as motorcycles is a total pain in the hind side.     

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 01:39:25 AM »
The drop from 12.7 to 12.4 volts is significant.

There maybe some confusion on the meter readings.
Amp and milliamps are often confused by the range and cable connection points on the meter.  Professional technicians often error on meter readings ua vs ma vs amps .

(take a picture of the meter would help in clarifying the readings)

Your .67 ma reading could actually be 67ma or .067 amps
It also could be 670 ma .67 amps

67 ma would be almost 7 times the normal expected draw of 10 ma.

670 ma obviously would be significant draw and also a reason the optimizer Charger is having trouble topping off the battery.   With the charger attached your should be seeing 12.8 to 13.8 depending on which mode the charger is in.   Some chargers change the charge mode automatically.  12.5 with the charger attached is too low and not normal.

Not familiar with that GARMIN Mount........but.........do not assume the mount will not draw current just because the nav unit is not mounted.

Ua is micro amps
ma is milliamps
A is amps 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:46:36 AM by Showkey »

Offline Nogshere

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
Sorry for the confusion but there was a typo in an earlier post which should have said 12.5V without the optimiser attached. Although it had dropped from 12.7 to 12.4 it didn't go any lower than this. Note, with the optimiser attached the voltage is steady at around 13.5V.

Regarding the current leak, I have (hopefully) attached a picture of the multimeter reading which is set at 20mA range so I assume it is reading 0.67mA?

At the moment all seems fine so I am just monitoring the battery readings, I will hopefully get out for a decent run at the weekend so I'll see how things go.

Regards
Ian

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
That does appears to be .67 ma .......but that might be too low to be valid reading ?
In the photo we can not see the lead connection.   Each amp range usually have separate ports.  Wrong port creates an invalid reading and might not error out or message error.

For comparison I took 5 reading with three  meters in different modes or ranges.
This is on 2017 1200x and the draw is measured at 3.8 ma or .003 amps or more exactly .0038 amps.  The Snap On meter in the 10 amp reading 10 ma then corrects to 000 amps because of scaling error. On ma scale it agreed with the other meters.  Note the wire lead position on each reading.

For comparison the static or resting voltage measured after the bike sat for two days was 12.77 volts.  That is with a known good battery.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:22:32 PM by Showkey »

arab-exile