Author Prospective new owner  (Read 7291 times)

• Offline ninjabika

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline ninjabika

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Prospective new owner
    on: Aug 19, 2019, 09.07 pm
    Aug 19, 2019, 09.07 pm
    hi

in the new year i intend getting a crosstourer, had many bikes over the years my last was a 2014 GSA, no bike since 2016 due to house move, wedding and working away a lot.

anyway wife has given the go ahead , weve been to look at one at the dealers and she liked the look of it as do i, now the quetions, bare with me, i quite like the idea of the dct obviously a test ride will figure that out, how do you get out of the urge to just rev it at the lights ?.

ive seen some new ones offered around the 12k mark, is it worth buying a new one as there are lots of low mileage ones about, fully kitted out, are the 2016 on bikes nuch better than the earlier ones ?

i had a vfr1200 a 2010 model and the suspension was rubbish, actually ruined my europe tour i came back on a wednesday and bought the GSA on the saturday lol, has the suspension got better ?

are the aluminium panniers and top box any good ? they look quite cheap, is it worth getting them, ive a friend who owns a fab shop who can make me some and fit them to a givi rack

tia for any answers

any answers would

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1796

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Re: Prospective new owner
    Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2019, 10.24 pm
    Aug 19, 2019, 10.24 pm
    I am not able to answer all your questions, but one thing I would totally emphasise is that you must try a DCT version and take it for a good long test ride as I’m convinced you’ll be impressed.
    As to “revving at the lights” - begs the question WHY.....! You really don’t need to prove too those around you that you’ve 1200cc of wonderful V4 power under your arse.
    I’d personally look at an immaculate, low mileage fully kitted Highlander as the first owner has taken the depreciation hit and it’ll be better value for money.

• Offline ninjabika

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline ninjabika

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2019, 10.33 pm
    Aug 19, 2019, 10.33 pm
    Hi

Revving at the lights was just an example of how I and many others I presume blip the throttle when riding I.e through traffic while filtering, obviously a blip of the throttle on the dct bike will launch me forward probably into something solid lol

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    586

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11.47 pm
    Aug 19, 2019, 11.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by ninjabika [+]
    Hi

Revving at the lights was just an example of how I and many others I presume blip the throttle when riding I.e through traffic while filtering, obviously a blip of the throttle on the dct bike will launch me forward probably into something solid lol

I am a tame rider but I have to admit it is hard not to just rip the throttle at some traffic signals.  So I just go ahead and do it from time to time.  On that note, the throttle is a little sensitive.  Inexpensive workarounds and add ons have been tossed around here in the forum that addresses it.  So from my perspective, the suspension does need work.  The front end was very harsh and the rear shock was better, but not by much.  However, those who ride two-up more frequently don't seem to have as much of an issue with it as those who ride solo.  The seat was also not very comfortable.  It was not comfortable at all.  The panniers are cheap.  But, they came with my machine.  They work well enough.  They are not aluminum but rather plastic with a finish on them to make them appear to be aluminum. 

I thought I would hate the DCT.  This is now my third with DCT.  It is awesome.  I recently took the advice of forum member Yasko to use the manual shift function of the DCT on more technical roads and enjoy that.  Shifting is so smooth and instant.  But, it is a little dodgy at slow speeds with the DCT and the weight.  Could be me.  I had no problems with the other DCTs I have owned in tight u-turns and parking lots.   

The bike was first offered here in the States in 2016.  I am not sure if the adjustable windscreen was available across the pond on earlier bikes but it is very useful.   Very few are disappointed with this machine based on the information here on the web.  I think that motorcyclist online is the most critical of it but even that review mostly goes to preference, not performance. 

• Offline instant

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    11

Offline instant

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: 2014 CT DCT
    • City / Town: Bratislava
    Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2019, 01.39 am
    Aug 20, 2019, 01.39 am
    @ninjabika

CT is solid Honda motorcycle: reliable, great engine, great balance, with average ergos (if you are big boy) and junk suspension. Once you fix it, it will be absolutely stunning bike. (in my case: Givi Airflow + side deflectors, SW motech 30mm bar risers, SW motech lowered pegs, Touratech high seat, Hyperpro progressive springs and soon to arrive Touratech shock, Trekker Outback luggage). It just ticks all the boxes. I have currently 4 bikes and CT is my daily commuter.

As regards DCT: try it and you will never look back.

• Offline ps54321

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    15

Offline ps54321

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2019, 02.36 am
    Aug 28, 2019, 02.36 am
    Here in Canada I see a 2016 VFR1200X with 0km for 12000$ Dealer next door has a 2015 BMW GS with 80000km for 16000$. Seems like a no brainer to me, I have 36000km on mine and love it so much I am considering trading it for the same but new.

• Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    39

Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member
    • Better late than never!
    • Bike: 2016 CT Manual
    • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
    Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2019, 07.19 am
    Aug 30, 2019, 07.19 am
    I purchased a 2016 manual Highlander 2 weeks ago. 1500 miles, £8600 and I love it.

Seat isn't as good as I would like, need a 5 minute break every couple of hours easy enough to change though.

Suspension is a little on the firm side but I've turned the rear down a notch and it's better.  I want to do some more miles before finalising the rear and tackling the front but it's definitely not offputting by any stretch for me.

I know that the DCT appears to convert most but I specifically wanted a manual as I personally believe it would take away part of the riding experience for me...I'm sure a test ride will help you decide what's right for you.

Pans are plastic but they "hold stuff", lock and I like the look of them.

Whatever model you decide on I doubt you will be unimpressed...that engine is a dream.

• Offline firefox   england

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    314

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT X
    • City / Town: Orpington
    Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2019, 09.14 pm
    Aug 31, 2019, 09.14 pm

Hi . I also had a 2010 VFR1200F I have covered 36000 miles and in four half years the only thing I had to replace was  the dipped head light and the rear shorke and front springs not cheap to do but what a difference as for the box’s they work well and very reflective at night it takes time to get to know her I ride a manual CT and not that many on the roads as most don’t even know it’s around take out the manual as well it’s a bit lighter as well depends
    if that’s matters Ihave no plans to change the CT may get a second bike at some point in time

Firefox