Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just how good is the CT?  (Read 431 times)

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Buggering about in West Wales
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Just how good is the CT?
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
Had my beloved DCT for a while now and she's fast approaching 50K miles.

Wife loves riding pillion but we decided a few weeks ago that perhaps for longer distance European touring, something more "tourable" might be an option.

So we started looking around for another bike to sit alongside the CT.

Long story short, I've bought a nice 2009 Pan European with 58K on the clock and all the toys etc.

What a disappointment!

Ridden her solo and 2-up for 1500 miles.

Despite everyone raving about how well Pan's handle. munch the miles with finesse etc etc, we're struggling with this bike.

Nice bike and smooth engine, but when comparing with the CT (on tarmac) the engine with a manual 5-speed gearbox just seem to lack the get-up-and-go grunt - particularly when overtaking and the handling..... just not in the same league as the CT.

So, the Pan is now up for sale -there's nothing wrong with the bike - in fact she's in really good condition - it just seems to lack any "spirit" - lacks the fire in the belly that makes riding an adventure - not a trip to the shops!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908090991095?advertising-location=at_bikes&price-to=6000&postcode=sa707ju&radius=1501&make=HONDA&price-from=4500&model=ST1300%20PAN%20EUROPEAN&sort=price-asc&page=1

So, she'll need to go - possibly looking at a semi-auto Yahama FJR1300 - odd for me cos with the exception of a few years on a 1150GS I've been on Honda man through and through.

Any thoughts?

Limited budget precludes any Kawasaki or Ducati variant and I'm too young and spirited for a Harley..........!!
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Just how good is the CT?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 12:08:04 AM »
Well you know what they say

a bad workman, and all that LOL

ever thought about having a few riding lessons?

all the best with the sale :028:,

just an observation, has it been down the road?

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
FJR is a superb bike. I had a 2002 model before my first CT. Ive said on here before that CT owners rave about the engine, for me the FJR's is just as good if not better. Its a big and fairly heavy bike but believe me they really do shift.

Something else where i believe the Yamaha scores over the CT is the shaft. The on / off clunkyness of the CT is not present on the FJR, youll think its chain drive.

The later ones have electronic suspension cruise etc. As a mile muncher theyre great.

Ive never ridden the semi auto but a couple of people i know were not keen.

One big minus i found for my FJR was engine heat in hot weather, they changed the fairings on the later ones which i think improved it but i actually had a burned leg on one particularly hot day in france. The CT is very good in this respect.

Ill be honest, i was in a Yam dealer last week getting some bits for my XJR, spent a long time looking at a new graphite FJR. Wouldnt rule it out being my next bike.

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »
I use Pans for blood running, we had old hand me downs a few year back, rubbish!! Until I had a 57 with a pair of new tyres, umm much much better, I can under stand the good comment. We now have a 65 and 16 from new. They really do handle, much better than the CT. Maybe not so full on grunt, but you can rev nicely and they responded

The Pan I think is a better bikes regardings handling and smoothness

As for the FJRs we have as blood bikes. not as good as a Pan, especially longer trips

Hey is good to know we are all different

I am planning touring on the ATAS

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
Hey Bert,

I say you already have the best 2-up tourer that turns into a perfect 2-up plaything when you do get to the tight n'twisty fun bits in sunnier climes. Poodles about perfect.

Not much help am I?  :164:

Ok, buy a 2nd hand MT-09 and a new plush seat for the CT... and some nice suspension (if you have not already) :007:

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 01:50:41 PM »
Burt I am kind of with you. I went from a ST1300 to the CT and am not looking back. The ST was a great bike but it just wasn't for me. My wife also didn't care for riding on the back. Prior to the ST1300 I had a 1991 ST1100. I thought that this was a far better bike for me and the wife. I much preferred it over the 1300. I put over 50k miles on the 1100 and 40k miles on the 1300.

Now I can't speak to the pillion side on the CT. My wife has her own bike so if she rides on the back it is for short rides.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
 :460: Bert and I to tend to agree with you.
I did consider an FJR prior to getting my first CT, but there was just something about being cosseted behind a full fairing that just didn’t appeal.
I must admit that I certainly feel that I made the right decision as absolutely love the CT.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

arab-exile