Author Topic: I need help with the fork!  (Read 1304 times)

• Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    I need help with the fork!
    on: Aug 04, 2019, 03.18 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 03.18 pm
    Hey guys,
    I have a '17 CT that I've been fighting with since it was new. It now has about 4K miles on it. When I first got it I found the fork to be extremely stiff. If I stood next to the bike and held the front brake and pushed the front up and down I could get it to move but if I sat on it and did the same thing it barely moved at all. Riding on the highway the bars would constantly move up and down following the irregularities of the road as if the fork was seized up. If it hit a bump it would then move a bit. I checked everything I could think of including the alignment of the fork tubes making sure they are in the proper position before tightening the lower axle pinch bolts. I assumed the problem was just with the cartridges and springs so I replaced them with a Traxxion kit and their oil to their specified height. That accomplished nothing. The fork still doesn't move unless it hits a bump at which time it absorbs the hit reasonably well. But just riding down the road it acts like it's locked up. It seems like it has a tremendous amount of stiction. My question to you is if you sit on the bike with the front brake applied can you easily move the front up and down?

I'm trying to find out if this is just a particularly lousy fork with a lot of stiction built in or if there is something wrong with my particular bike. I'm tempted to pull it apart again and see if there is a problem with either of the fork bushings that could be causing it to bind up but first I need to determine that this isn't normal for this KYB fork and since there aren't any other CTs around here that I know of, I don't have one to compare it to. And the dealer is useless.

Any input would be greatly appreciated before I start taking this thing apart again. I'm going to post this on the other site as well.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2018 Goldwing DCT Tour in Red
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    181

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Re: I need help with the fork!
    Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2019, 03.41 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 03.41 pm
    Okay. I am going to ask the obvious question here. Have you read the owners manual on how to adjust the Preload and damping? In my owners manual it is on page 97.

In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2019, 03.48 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 03.48 pm
    I've already replaced the springs and cartridges with Traxxion as mentioned. I'm very familiar with suspension settings. I'm asking for feedback regarding your experience with your fork so I can determine if there is something actually wrong with mine or not. Can you help me there?

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline Grabcon

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2019, 05.29 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 05.29 pm
    Feedback. Assuming they are assembled correctly here are some thoughts. Also did you put silicone grease on the inside of the fork seals where the fork tubes slide. The grease helps eliminate stiction. And are the forks adjustment dampening and sag set to a baseline setting to reference from. Are the forks tubes aligned in the triple clamps? Any twist can influence fork movement.

When changing internals of forks the volume of fork oil will increase or decrease based upon what parts are put in. So based on volume changes is the correct amount of oil used? I am not sure on this bike but many bikes take different volumes of oil in each tube. The correct amount of oil influences the air space volume. To much air space things become mushy. To little things are stiff or no movement at all. Oil weight. Using the recommended oil weight from the manufacturer is always recommended. But now since you changed the internals Who is the recommended manufacturer, Honda or Traxxion?
    In The Barn

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2019, 07.08 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 07.08 pm
    Thank you. Everything is set up correctly so no issues there. What I'm actually asking for is feedback regarding your experience with your fork so I can determine if there is something actually wrong with mine or not. Can you help me there? I just need to know if when you sit on your bike with the front brake engaged if you are able to easily bounce the forks up and down a few inches with little force? If yours is difficult to move as mine is then I will know it is characteristic of this fork. If you can easily bounce yours up and down with little effort then I will assume there is something wrong with mine. As for the diagnostic side of things, I'm pretty proficient, I just need to determine if there is a problem or not.

Thanks for the help.

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline Grabcon

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 07.17 pm
    I an using the user manual recommended settings for a manual transmission, 5 groves and 7 clicks. With the front brake applied the front end moves freely and has good movement. Is there resistance? Yes, but is what would be expected. Is it hard and no movement? No.
    In The Barn

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2019, 07.21 pm
    Aug 04, 2019, 07.21 pm
    Thanks for that. "Moves freely" is the operative phrase. Mine does not! That gives me a good starting point. At least I know it has the potential to be fixed. I'll attack this next week.

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline Grabcon

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro