Author Topic: Why do we put up with poor dealers?  (Read 2214 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Why do we put up with poor dealers?
    on: Jul 30, 2019, 09.32 pm
    Jul 30, 2019, 09.32 pm
    Dropped my bike off tonight for its 24k service tomorrow at my closest dealer.  It a 20 mile journey hence i have to drop it of the night before and ill pick it up after work the following day.

Walked in, girl on reception asked "How can i help you?"

"Hi, im dropping my bike off for its service tomorrow."

"Who said you could drop it off tonight?"

"The guy i spoke to on the phone when i booked it in"

"Oh, we dont do that anymore, we had a bike damaged so we dont have them overnight now but as you didnt know we'll let it go this time"

WTF!  Does this mean i have to take a day of work to get my bike serviced now as they dont open til after ive started work?

Ill admit, ive always found this particular dealer pretty poor but my options are limited, i use them purely to get that stamp in the book.

Im in Northampton, if anyone knows of a decent dealer round here, let me know.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Why do we put up with poor dealers?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07.12 am
    Jul 31, 2019, 07.12 am
    As I have said many times I have a great dealer some thing I am thankful for but alas no use to you Paul.
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2019, 12.50 pm
    Jul 31, 2019, 12.50 pm
    To be honest Paul its just not good enough.
    With the ever increasing choice of motorcycles that customers now have regards purchasing, customer service should and must be front and centre of any major motorcycle manufacturer thinking, especially as Honda are perceived as Japan’s prestige manufacturer not only in order to attract new customers but to and perhaps more importantly to retain existing customers.
    To use damage to another customers motorcycle as a reason is frankly inexcusable and should not be tolerated.
    I would be compiling a rather strongly worded email to Honda UK, copying in the manager of the dealer in question, not only complaining of the dealers stance on the issue but also the unprofessional manner in which the receptionist dealt with the situation.
    It would be interesting to see what, if any, response you get Paul.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01.11 pm
    Jul 31, 2019, 01.11 pm
    Dave, I work on the tools myself and I except that on occasion things go wrong and accidents happen. It’s a pain and as a customer you’d be very pi55ed off but what counts is how the issue is resolved.
    Their way of ensuring this doesn’t happen again just beggars belief.

As I say I’ve not got a lot of time for this dealer but short of a very long trip ( as you know I used too) to a better dealer I’m stuffed.

As for Honda UK, I actually think they could well be part of the problem.

I said to Paula last night I’ll have to go elsewhere in future, she asked where?

“Probably Wollaston BMW”

• Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    181

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01.36 pm
    Jul 31, 2019, 01.36 pm
    It is unfortunate that dealers don't seem to understand outstanding customer service in the motorcycle relm. I seldom bring my bikes to dealers but sometimes it is a necessity. I have a choice one Honda dealer is 16 miles and the other is 29 miles. I go to the one that is 29 miles away.

Why? They have outstanding customer service, reasonable shop rates as compared to others, they know me on a first name basis even though I don't go there a lot, they are the oldest Honda only dealer in the state of Colorado, and there mechanics are older than me and understand old and new technology in the motorcycle world. They take pride in their work and have a pragmatic approach to things.

They would rather take 5 minutes to talk and understand the issue and maybe offer up a solution without dropping the bike off.
    In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

• Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10.41 pm
    Jul 31, 2019, 10.41 pm
    Just before time for me to finish work and head to the dealer i thought id call to see if my bike was ready as theyd not called me.

"Oh yes, i was just about to call you, i need your service plan number"   :110:

"Its with my service book i told the lady yesterday when i dropped the bike off"   :157:

"Oh OK, im just working out your invoice"   :187:

"Ive got a service plan, should be nothing to pay"    :084:

"Yes but the technician found a few things, but ill check because they maybe covered in the plan"   :021:

About 10 mins later i get a call,

"Ok theres is a bill to pay, technician found the front brake pads low and the parking break pads worn so thats all been replaced for you, itll be £145 for the parts plus labour"

:182:

I pointed out to the service lady that at no point had i had a call and authorized this work. Her reply was that it was standard policy for them just to change these things on a service as they were safety critical and had the person i spoke to when i dropped the bike off not told me that.

"No, the only thing she said was "Who told you you could drop your bike off tonight!"

"Oh, oh yes, sorry about that"

I told her that no garage should ever carry out work without it being authorised by the customer and I would never pay a dealer to change break pads, not only am i a vehicle technician i can get discount on parts through this forum. This is not the sort of behaviour i expect from a main dealer and we both knew they were on very dodgy ground.

She said oh ok, come down as your bike is ready and ill have a chat with my boss and sort it out.

When i arrived i spoke to the technician and to be fair the pads were low and would need replacing soon but that didnt change the fact that i was not contacted to give the ok.

They suggested that if i was that unhappy i could go home, theyd put all the old parts back on and i could pick the bike up tomorrow.

I said, thats rediculous and said, fair enough the parts needed replacing and i would have had to buy them so i suggested id pay for the parts but not the labour.  Eventually they agreed i paid and left, theyll not be seeing me again.

FFS, do they really not get it.

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2019, 03.46 am
    Aug 01, 2019, 03.46 am
    Well, this must be an international thing.  Very common here too especially in markets without a ton of competition.   Pretty crappy.  Not much beyond oil change ever seems right.   I try to do as much as I am able on my own, though not always an option for me or others from time to time.   One large independent specialty shop has a great rep and our brand new Indian dealership is getting great press.  Other than that, seems to be nothing but complaints on dealers.  Just despise dealing with BS when I pay somebody to do something and there is zero competency demonstrated. 

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2019, 09.38 pm
    Aug 01, 2019, 09.38 pm
    I totally agree with you Paul regards replacing parts without the authorisation of the owner, it’s without question unacceptable for them to do this.
    Without doubt I’d certainly be contacting Honda UK regards the whole situation and I’d be very surprised if they don’t monitor such forums as this. I’d also name and shame the dealer so other forum members don’t get landed with the same treatment.
    As the picture below seems to indicate- taken from the back cover of this months Motorcycle Sport & Leisure - seems to state that only if you buy a Honda Gold Wing will you get the “ultimate dealer experience”......! Sorry Mr Honda but this sort of treatment just isn’t acceptable.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

arab-exile