With a little help from my friends……
Put on the center stand and lash down the rear. Tie off the center stand to prevent collapse.
Remove and suspend calipers. Detach hoses from fender. Remove wheel and fender.
Break the upper clamp bolt free and then break the fork cap while still mounted.
Break the bottom clamp bolts free.
Get the fork out!
No guts, no glory! Compress the spring, break the lock nut, and unscrew the fork cap.
With the end cap off you can remove all the moving parts.
Drain the old oil out. No pics. It's fairly self explanatory.
Now to remove the damper. Cut off an 8mm Allen wrench to reach the bottom bolt.
Had to keep the damper from spinning as the bottom bolt was removed so I took this grey PVC pipe and cut two notches that mate with the damper (it has four notches but I figured two would suffice on my tool.)
Next, pry the dust seal off and remove the snap ring. Apply heat to to the tube and pull it apart.
Viola! I present your OEM fork guts.
Clean the tubes up and prepare to reassemble.
Here's the layout of all the stuff. Tools and expendables are at the top. Next is the Andreani cartridge with the fork tubes next.
I bought new Honda dust seal, fork seals, back up ring (otherwise known as a big washer), and both bushings.
The only re-used parts are the snap ring and bottom bolt.
Tape the end of the tube to protect the seals.
Here's the team waiting their chance to play.
Apply lubes to the rubber. Book says fork oil. I chose grease.
Remove the tape and heat the stanchion tube.
Use the seal driver of your choice to seat the bushing and washer (flat edge towards seal) followed by the oil seal. This is a Motion Pro 43mm.
Push the stanchion down onto the dust seal.
Insert the cartridge (less spring, spacer, and cap) and tighten bolt to 20Nm.
Add oil to a level 135mm below the top of the tubes. I used a flavor injector (big syringe) from the kitchen section of local Walmart and added 135mm of tube.
Bleed the air. (I'll post instructions in the next post….)
Time to add the spring, spacer, and cap. Tighten the lock nut to the cap.
Re-install in the bike and tighten the cap to specified torque.
Do the other side.
Reassemble front end.
I recommend skipping the flat tire though….
Job done. My first shock rebuild is in the books. Not perfect. There are a few dings that shouldn't be there, but they are mine.