Author NW Scotland 500 mile road trip  (Read 2007 times)

• Offline firefox   england

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    315
    • Topic Author

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CT X
    • City / Town: Orpington
    NW Scotland 500 mile road trip
    on: Jul 16, 2019, 10.06 am
    Jul 16, 2019, 10.06 am

Hi All . I am in the planning stage of riding the NW 500 miles around Scotland next year have other riders done this ride I have joined NW500 company that offer a package when to to stop and what to look out for as for the timing and the weather that ‘s in the lap of the god’s but thinking of may be July/ August may be my current thinking from Orpington is a two day ride to Inverness 8 days around the and two day ride home as it’s not much short of 600 miles ish from Orpington each way I do have two days in hand so to speak out of 14 day holiday looking where to stop both out going and return trip

• Offline andyrob   scotland

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    701

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Ex-0141
    Re: NW Scotland 500 mile road trip
    Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2019, 11.23 am
    Jul 16, 2019, 11.23 am
    Bin the A9 at Dunkeld.
    Head east to Blairgowrie then north on the A93 Spittal of Glenshee, Braemar and onto Tomintoul. One of the best rides in the country.
     Grantown upon Spey/ Boat of Garten are good places to stay. As is Aviemore which would allow a ride up into the west side of the Cairngorms for more spectacular views (an hour or so.) Also a great bit of road.

Head west from Inverness to Ullapool (great place) and up hugging the coast round to Tongue and back south via A836 Altnaharra road. Would not bother with the east side. West is best.

Head south via Loch Ness A82, Spean Bridge (Commando Memorial,) Glencoe, Crianlarich then either stau on the A82 and down the side of Loch Lomond or via A85/A84 Callander (which allows doing the A821 Dukes Pass)

Back at Stirling / Glasgow / Central Belt for the easy m/way back down the road.

Not even mentioned Isle Of Skye/Plockton/Applecross/Torridon or Isle of Mull but basically my advice is dont have the NC500 route as cast in stone and smashing yourself to get up there and back to "do it." You'll miss a lot of the top stuff. Find you own way...ish! :001:

Maps oot! Happy planning!  :031:

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex

arab-exile