Author Installed Hyperpro Rear Shock and Fork Springs  (Read 3928 times)

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    586
    • Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Installed Hyperpro Rear Shock and Fork Springs
    on: Jul 15, 2019, 04.25 am
    Jul 15, 2019, 04.25 am
    I've installed the Hyperpro 461 rear shock and also front springs.  I'll spare you all of the boring details as to why, but it is not fully dialed in yet but set as close to Hyperpro's recommended settings. 

The rear shock is actually very good.  This is definitely a huge improvement over stock.  Much more settled and plush.  I do not like where I had to install the separation bladder, under the light/crash bar.  But it is what it is.  Rebound is at 20 clicks.  Low and High-speed compression are both at 15, may add 1 or 2.  15 clicks (out of 50) on preload.  Sag is close....not dead on yet but will be tomorrow so preload may change. 

Front springs were installed with a 10MM drop on the forks per instructions.  The geometry seems to be correct with that spec.  15 weight oil with a 125 air gap was set/applied per manufacturer instructions. 

If this upgrade did not work out I was going to sell and buy the 18 Wing or 19 R1200RT (might have waited for the Neowing...really interested in that bike/trike for some reason).  So it was kind of a gamble.  Anyhow, I am very pleased with the outcome overall.    From the perspective of comfort, the upgrade is excellent.  100% confident it will perform well on the longer trips I want to do.  The ride is both firm and for the most part plush. All front end vibration is gone, not exaggerating on that point.  Washboard roads, which we have a lot of here in Florida, are handled with ease and comfort, and confidence, on straight roads and in turns. Square edges on the front end so much better handled by the front and the rear does not even notice them.  I figured by all the posts in the forum on this topic that this would be the case.  I can't say that the springs entirely remediated my concern with the square edged hits but the improvement is absolutely huge...notice them but not unsettling, jarring or uncomfortable.  The shock, however, performs flawlessly. 

The handling of the bike is literally night and day.  Corners and curves are much faster.  Much more confident.  Like it is on rails is probably exaggerating, but you get the drift.    Brake dive is minimal.  And like is said, the ride quality is greatly improved.  It feels very close to the bike I wanted it to be.  I was careful to ignore any placebo effect.  Worthwhile upgrade.  Though cogent or traxxion would certainly have been better on the front end, it would have been 1000 bucks more.

Bike is a 2016 VFR1200XD with 13k on the clock.  I weigh 240 pounds with gear.  I tested with no bags or additional weight.  I only ride on paved roads.  I still have Anakees (90 10s if I recall correctly) but will be putting on the Roadsmarts in the future. 

• Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    115

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Journey not Destination
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Re: Installed Hyperpro Rear Shock and Fork Springs
    Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10.26 am
    Jul 19, 2019, 10.26 am
    *Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
    I've installed the Hyperpro 461 rear shock and also front springs...

Who did you go to for the work and how did you find them?

*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
    ...The handling of the bike is literally night and day.  Corners and curves are much faster.  Much more confident.  Like it is on rails is probably exaggerating, but you get the drift.    Brake dive is minimal.  And like is said, the ride quality is greatly improved.  It feels very close to the bike I wanted it to be...

I finished my Andreani cartridge install two days ago and have been road testing. 

Your comments here are spot on for what I am seeing too.  Glad it is working for you.

:028:

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10.53 am
    Jul 19, 2019, 10.53 am
    Well, I went to a local dealership here in town to have the work done.  I really regret that.  I am very capable of doing anything mechanical (seemingly like yourself).  But I am in a travel cycle at work and was eager to get the end result.  But when I picked up the bike things were not right.  But to be fair, they did make everything right at the end of the day.  I saw your install post.  Very much appreciated that you took the time to do that. I am glad that it is working out for you! 

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2019, 12.33 pm
    Jul 26, 2019, 12.33 pm
    I did notice another interesting result after changing the springs and installing a new shock.  I think most of us are pretty in tune with our bikes and have a good idea of the speeds we are traveling at in that 25 to 80 MPH range.  So in other words, based on how the bike was behaving and by assessing its control characteristics and feedback, if I thought I was doing 50 MPH, I could check my speedo and I'd be pretty close.  That, however, has changed entirely.  There is about a 12 15 MPH delta between how the bike "communicated" information back to me, the rider. So 65 MPH feedback feels like about 50 MPH did before the upgrades.  Take that for what it is worth to you, but I'd call it an improvement. Not that I want to go faster into the turns as I am a tame rider, but I can if I make a mistake.  Just a much smoother and more controlled ride. 

Eager to get some real distance in, finalize the dial-in along the way, but we have been getting so much rain down here...dry when I am out of town as luck would have it. 
    Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019, 12.36 pm by mzflorida

• Offline Grabcon   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    183

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2019, 02.14 pm
    Jul 26, 2019, 02.14 pm
    Glad your upgrade was successful. I am interested to hear son long term results. Did the shop do everything or just the front forks?

I have only done one suspension upgrade and that was on a 1991 ST1100. The bike had about 40k on it and it was a marked improvement. But with that bike there was an abundance of two up riding. Today my wife has her own and I at this point don't see an upgrade  in the near future. My CT however currently is fine for my needs. Maybe I am not as intune as others but I really don't find much that I would spend the money on to change.

But keep us posted. Thanks

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2019, 03.50 pm
    Jul 26, 2019, 03.50 pm
    I did have the shop do everything and I do regret that.  Everything except static sag, which I set then adjusted a little further to meet my needs.  But, I am busy at work right now and did not want to spend my off time wrenching.  That being said, the job is easy but time-consuming for us amateurs...and I do not have a bike jack at the moment.  I'm with you.  If aint broke....but I was close to selling the bike before I made this change.  I would have sold it if this did not work out.  But you are absolutely correct, there are tons of owners who are perfectly happy with the suspension.  I would not want to deter anyone from owning this bike.  It is a fantastic machine. 

• Offline Big_John   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    144

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '16 Black Manual
    • City / Town: Colorado
    Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2019, 02.28 am
    Jul 28, 2019, 02.28 am
    Did mine today.  I had ordered the HyperPro Kit, which included two front springs and the rear spring and a Liter of 15wt oil.

Took me a while and the wife had to help me with the fronts.

A test ride, including pavement and some 2-track revealed.... THIS IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!!!   I am honestly stunned with how good the bike is now.

It's $300+ and a day of work, but it is SOOOO worth it.

No pics of the fronts, as it was an oily mess and I didn't want to touch my phone for photos.

Last Edit: Jul 28, 2019, 02.30 am by Big_John

• Offline mzflorida   us

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2019, 03.08 am
    Jul 28, 2019, 03.08 am
    What's your preload and compression set at?  Did you do the 10 MM drop on the front?  Agreed it is a huge improvement.