Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HELP - TomTom question  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
HELP - TomTom question
« on: July 12, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »

I have a TomTom Urban Rider 450 and need some advice regards SD cards and importing routes.
As a techno numpty am I correct in assuming that if I download any routes from RIDE magazine etc. that I have to load them onto a memory card in order to get them onto my TomTom 450 via the memory card slot.
If that is the case and even after looking on the TomTom website I am totally confused as to which is the correct memory card to purchase.
Hopefully some could advice me as to which one to purchase or better still post up an amazon link for me to use.
If I don’t have to download them onto a memory card in order to view in My Routes on the unit, could someone perhaps explain how this can be done as I am totally at a loss.
Thanks in anticipation.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Moncton,N.B.
Re: HELP - TomTom question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:59:53 PM »
I just got a Tomtom 550 and I would also be in interested if anyone can comment.

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:45:08 PM »
Can’t believe there’s no experienced TomTom users on here.  :084:

Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Moncton,N.B.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 12:26:53 AM »
If you go to an electronic shop with the GPS, they will know what sd card you need.once the card is inserted, you might be able to figure it out. I have got a card yet either.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
Not got a TomTom Dave (I use Garmin) but when i got started with that i gained so much useful info through YouTube. Try searching on there, might take a while to find exactly what youre after.

As for the memory card, is says on here that you need a MicroSD card:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/compatible-memory-cards-for-map-installation

Which is one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JWXGNT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=388HTIUAT04UW&keywords=micro+sd+card+32gb&qid=1563061237&s=gateway&sprefix=micro+sd%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3

Hope this helps and good luck

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Why not
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
In my old Tomtom, it works as following;
connect the TT via USB to the laptop
Windows Explorer will show a new divce:  Tomtom
open it and put the Rider mag. tracks into the folder ITN
Disconnect.
Your TT will restart. now go into the menu to Itinerary planning (trip planner), in this option you will find the stored route-tracks.

Once again, this is how it works in my old TT. I know it is also possible to load tracks in TT via https://mydrive.tomtom.com and TomtomHome.
But there is a lot of information on the web, also howto video's on youtube.

<-- Check!

Honda VFR1200XD - XR400R - the Dutch gather Here

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
 :047: thanks for that guys, really appreciate your help and thanks for those links Paul,
never even crossed my mind about using YouTube  :138:
Used your Amazon link Paul and ordered that memory card.  :028:
I’m going to have a look at using that info you posted Superjeap and I’ll see how I get on, again big thanks fellas.

Offline Matlock

• Crosstourer Member
  • Chris
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
Hi, I've got the 550, which is basically the 450 with bells and whistles. I've imported my routes, some of my own from my old TomTom Rider and some from Ride Magazine and I haven't needed the SD card, there's been plenty of space on the device itself.
I know it's going to hurt, but you're going to have to man-down and read the manual  :008: Specifically the bit about TomTom MyDrive. This is a web based application that runs on your PC, tablet, or phone. You can import routes from most sources, edit them to suit your requirements and then send them to your TomTom over Wifi. It works seamlessly and is pretty straightforward to use. just take your time and follow the instructions. Don't worry, you can't break your TomTom if you get it wrong.
So for the Ride routes, I downloaded them from the magazine website to my PC. Then uploaded them to MyDrive, edited them and sent the ones I was going to use to my Tomtom. It worked a treat.
Also in the garage: Yamaha TDM900 & XTZ750.