Author Topic: 170/60r17  (Read 10360 times)

Offline plukenannabel

• Crosstourer Member
Re: 170/60r17
Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 04:03:44 PM
spoked wheels are my favourite as well, but thats just looks. Crosstourer offroad :827: 285kg, 145mm suspension travel, al unprotected engine, plastics, exhaust ets. Nah, spoked wheels are just for the looks.

Cast wheels have many benefits, lighter, easer to produce, really round instead of roundish :008: and easier to clean. Pitty they are ugly as .......

But if i wanted a pretty bike i wouldn't have gotten a crosstourer or any allroad really. And i even care less what others think of my bike :010: :007:

But.........What do you think of it :164:

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 04:20:54 PM
Hello plukenannabel,

Like the look of your rear splash guard, is that the BMW R1150 piece of kit mounted on an homemade bracket ?

If not, can you please advise !  :020:

Wack

Offline plukenannabel

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #34 on: March 18, 2020, 04:23:43 PM
it is indeed. Brackets drawing is found on this allknowing forum

Online DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 03:01:35 AM
*Originally Posted by plukenannabel [+]
spoked wheels are my favourite as well, but thats just looks. Crosstourer offroad :827: 285kg, 145mm suspension travel, al unprotected engine, plastics, exhaust ets. Nah, spoked wheels are just for the looks.

Cast wheels have many benefits, lighter, easer to produce, really round instead of roundish :008: and easier to clean. Pitty they are ugly as .......

But if i wanted a pretty bike i wouldn't have gotten a crosstourer or any allroad really. And i even care less what others think of my bike :010: :007:

But.........What do you think of it :164:

Sounds like you'd be surprised where we ride ours in the PNW of the USA.  I have been on several of the back country discovery routes since I bought it and found my limits. With good tires and a skid plate, it will do anything a vstrom 650 can do, and do it a little better in the dirt. But, you need to be a confident rider with experience dirt riding bigger bikes and it helps significantly to be a large person. I am 6ft2in 240lbs with a 34in inseam so the bike feels more heavy than big to me. I have dropped and crashed mine a handful of times and they do that very well with the right protection pieces.  I would not want a cast wheel on mine to ride it like this.

Offline plukenannabel

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #36 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:36 AM
For this kind of riding i agree. On the road its not a riding advantage either

But ct offroad Feels to me like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Did lots of offroadtravel in mud, sand, rocks in europe and africa and never thougt i need more weight, less suspension  travel, 19/17 wheels, non switchable abs or pooooor gasmileage.

Its a comfy roadcruiser to me.

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
Reply #37 on: March 19, 2020, 10:15:39 AM
I like it, it looks better on the CT than the spokes, especially for us asphalt adventurers. Now you just need to figure out how to make the front f wheel work. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline mad-dawg

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #38 on: August 06, 2020, 01:56:30 PM
Late to the party :789:

Had new tyres fitted mid July this year, Michelin Anakee Adventure, ordered 110/80/R19 Front & 150/70/R17 Rear.
Took the wheels in and an hour later all done, checked rotation arrows, went home and fitted the wheels to my bike.

Had a great week in Scotland and when I got back noticed the rear was starting to square off and chicken strips are embarassing.  :005:
Apart from the ride up to Scotch Corner (30 Miles) and maybe 50 on M90 the rest of the trip was on minor roads so plenty of bends.
Bit grumpy that a new tyre has worn about 3mm in 1800 miles so as I am off again soon on a longer trip thought I would take the adventures off and fit some Road 5 Trail (last set of these did about 6K). Made a note of the Anakee sizes and went online to see what deal I could get. Michelin website came up with a different rear size to that I had copied from the tyre. Checked the invoice from July and the rear is apparently a 150/70/R18  :008:
Checked the tyre again and its a 170/60/R17. So the tyre company fitted a 170/60/R17 Anakee when it should have been a 150/70/R17 and charged me for a tyre size that doesnt exist.
Rang them today, they are apologetic and have no idea what the hell went on but are going to sort on Monday.

So in answer to the op question, yes the tyre fits on the rim, the Anakee howled on bends like an old land rover, it gripped okay but it did feel a bit slow turning in. No clearance issues even with a pyramid hugger.
Lesson learnt, in future I will double check the tyre size is correct as well as the rotation, and read the invoice  :192:

Offline VFR1200XDH

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: N. California
Reply #39 on: August 08, 2020, 09:12:12 PM
Exceeding the loading capacity of the bike by fitting tires with a load capacity that exceeds that is just asking for trouble. Once you've loaded up your bike and it exceeds the rated GVW how much the tires can hold doesn't mean anything. You might go 1 mile or 10,000 miles without a problem. Its the mile where the bike fails and you're found liable is the one that does you.

Who would ride with brakes not designed for the bike? Many do but when things go wrong its usually not a good ending. Tires are no different, they are a safety item.

The load rating of tires is dictated by their construction, not the size. While often one size will typically have a higher load rating, that isn't across the board, within the same exact size tire the load rating can vary greatly. Its pretty common to swap a rear tire for a wider or taller one thinking it will increase load capacity. It doesn't. If a bike has a certain load capacity, no tire swap can safely increase the load rating. Changing one component in a system doesn't change the system, it just increases the risk that another part of that system will fail. Thats been proven time and time again.

A 160/60 17 tire can have the same rating than a 150/70 17.  You can also order a 150/70 17 with a load rating higher than 69 (we have on the VFR-X) and almost match the rating of the 150/60 17 but you'll then have tires exceeding the load capacity rating of the bike.
Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:03:58 PM by VFR1200XDH
To V or not to V is not the question.

arab-exile