Author Topic: NightEye LED Model A315-h7-25W  (Read 3726 times)

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574
    • Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    NightEye LED Model A315-h7-25W
    on: Jul 09, 2019, 02.57 am
    Jul 09, 2019, 02.57 am
    Installed this tonight with an installation tip provided by DaveinNC.  The unit fits without modification to the dust/water seal.  The plug tucks neatly into the existing recess.  The light is definitely brilliant white and certainly would be very visible during the daytime hours, which is really what I was looking for as I try to avoid riding at night.  However, crap happens and you never know.  The light scattered far too much.  The beam pattern was inadequate.  The throw was abysmal, seriously maybe 50 feet...which means you outrun your headlight in about .66 seconds at 55MPH.  The claim to fame of these lights is that the LED elements are adjustable in that they rotate and lock so that you can adjust your beam pattern, which may have worked but the screws were stripped.  Any kind of night riding and I would deem them unsafe.  If you are looking to improve daytime conspicuity (which I thought was my mission) these could be your ticket.  I had a Silverstar that I popped in which is definitely better than the stock Phillips that Honda supplied.  Anyhow, back to Amazon they go.   

I bought the same brand for my wife's CTX.  I have not installed it yet.  On the CTX forum here in the States, folks just swear by them.  But, it is a different bulb (H4), bike, reflector housing than our bikes.     

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Re: NightEye LED Model A315-h7-25W
    Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2019, 05.52 pm
    Jul 09, 2019, 05.52 pm
    Thanks for cluing us in so we don't make the same purchase mistake.  What will you try next?

• Offline DaveinNC   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    247

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Matthews NC
    Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2019, 05.57 pm
    Jul 09, 2019, 05.57 pm
    This is a common issue I have heard of with the VFRX reflectors, especially the low beam. I think at this point the best way to go is a set of high-quality H7 upgrade bulbs, I have always been happy with the Piaa extreme white bulbs but I understand some better ones are out now, Osram comes to mind. Thanks for the feedback, sorry it didn't work.
    "Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

• Offline mzflorida

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07.27 pm
    Jul 09, 2019, 07.27 pm
    *Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
    Thanks for cluing us in so we don't make the same purchase mistake.  What will you try next?

Not sure.  Conspicuity is my biggest concern.  I have PIAA aux lights.  Adding Skene Photon Blasters.  May just try another halogen.  Somebody posted on here (I believe) that they are close to producing a direct replacement LED bulb that will work properly in reflector housings.  Might just wait for that.  I hope it does not sound like overkill on the front conspicuity lighting.  But, when tourists are here, half drunk and not a care in the world, I need all the help I can get even though I ride with strategy all of the time and relatively tame. 

Going in the shop for suspension upgrade today and might talk to the shop manager for options. 

• Offline mzflorida

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07.28 pm
    Jul 09, 2019, 07.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
    This is a common issue I have heard of with the VFRX reflectors, especially the low beam. I think at this point the best way to go is a set of high-quality H7 upgrade bulbs, I have always been happy with the Piaa extreme white bulbs but I understand some better ones are out now, Osram comes to mind. Thanks for the feedback, sorry it didn't work.

PIAA bulbs were on the list.  Folks love the light but complain about the longevity of the bulb.  Have you had early failures on the PIAAs?  Thanks again for the install tip, Dave! 

• Offline DaveinNC   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    247

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Matthews NC
    Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07.43 pm
    Jul 09, 2019, 07.43 pm
    *Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
    PIAA bulbs were on the list.  Folks love the light but complain about the longevity of the bulb.  Have you had early failures on the PIAAs?  Thanks again for the install tip, Dave!

No problem, I found they had a shorter than average life span but they were simple to change, just expensive. You can find good deals on eBay now and then. I am going to try those new Osrams.
    "Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

• Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    39

Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2016 CT Manual
    • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
    Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2019, 09.50 am
    Aug 18, 2019, 09.50 am
    I had PIAA's in my car some years ago and the forum members warned of the sort life expectancy but they were fine tbf.
    I'm just looking now for a whiter replacement halogen bulb to try and match my aux lights.
    Old enough to know better but young enough to do it anyway!

• Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67

Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Lisboa
    Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2020, 04.51 pm
    Apr 08, 2020, 04.51 pm
    There are 2 main issues with changing the OEM halogen lights for LEDs: One is the distance of the small leds of the bulb to the reflector, which is always different from the OEM halogen bulbs; the second is that the OEM halogen lights emits light on a 360º and the LEDs are usually only 180º. These two factors separately makes a huge difference on the pattern of the light reflected; now, both of them combined the issue is even bigger....

In any case, I tried those LED bulbs with only 2 rows (180º between them) and the pattern was simply useless (by the opposite of the flash, that was really good), so I change them for one of those with 4 rows (90º) of LED lights,  if I make myself clear... Although the pattern isn't perfect, the difference to the OEM lights is very noticeable.

I have them for medium and high beams for over 3 years, and I'm quite happy with it.